Toy Story 3 Review | Teen Ink

Toy Story 3 Review

July 27, 2010
By zman1 PLATINUM, Bethesda, Maryland
zman1 PLATINUM, Bethesda, Maryland
45 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.


The movie industry is like a baseball game. Sometimes a movie could be a home run or it strikes out. Take a trilogy like Spider Man, the first two movies were home runs but the third one struck out. But Pixar never strikes out. All of their movies have either been good or outstanding. Their movies all feature well-developed characters that become your friends. I know this may sound corny but it is true.

The plot involves Andy who is heading off to college and is unsure of what to do with his toys. He decides to bring Woody to college and keep his other toys in the attic. But Andy’s mom mistakes the toys for trash. But just as the garbage truck is about to take them away, Woody saves them and mistakenly hides them in a box, which is meant for daycare donations. At first they think that they would be played some more at daycare, but realize that it was run by the tyrannical teddy bear Lotso who treats the toys like prisoners. Could the toys find Andy and escape, or suffer under Lotso’s rule?

When Pixar first made Toy Story in 1995, it revolutionized animation because it was the first movie made entirely by computers. Four years later Toy Story 2 came out and added an extra layer of depth to Woody and introduced new characters. The third movie introduces new characters and provides them with backstory. Even the villain Lotso is not evil just for the heck of it, he was abandoned by his owner and loses his sanity after learning that his owner replaced him. His mind snaps and he rules over the toys with an iron paw. What made the first two films great was the sly pop culture jokes and movies references. The first two movies were like action movies lacking the pileups and explosions and the third movie is a throwback to prison films such as The Great Escape. When the toys try to escape the daycare you constantly root for them the whole time and hope to see them succeed. But by the end the film almost made me cry and left me wanting another sequel. I may be sixteen years old but this film has enough humor and emotion to make you beg for more. If you love the first two movies than this movie wraps up a solid trilogy and could be enjoyed no matter how old you are.

My Rating: 4 Stars out of 5