Cult of Chucky Review | Teen Ink

Cult of Chucky Review

By joanacoboz BRONZE, Tirana, Other
joanacoboz BRONZE, Tirana, Other

"You kill one man you are a murderer, you kill them all and you are a god" - Big Mouth

Cult of Chucky is one of the more recent movies which follows the Child’s Play franchise and is produced by Don Mancino. This movie does a good job following up the plot of Curse of Chucky and is a great example of psychological horror; Cult of Chucky is a movie that is largely debated within the fanbase and is more of a 50/50. I really like this movie and I think that without Cult of Chucky, the franchise wouldn’t be complete.  
After Nica (main character) gets terrorized by Chucky in Curse of Chucky, she ends up in a mental asylum after reporting this case to the police. While in the mental asylum, Dr. Foley (her therapist) presents her with a Chucky doll as a way of getting over her trauma which later turns out to be a bad decision in his end. Chucky starts to go around the asylum, murdering people while everyone frames Nica. This movie has a lot of unforgettable side characters such as Michael who is one of Nica’s friends, Dr. Foley, and Madeleine who believes Chucky is her kid. While these characters have minor roles and little screentime, the story wouldn’t have been the same without them. 
One could argue that the plot of Cult of Chucky is messy compared to Curse of Chucky, but they are two different movies that follow the same franchise of course there could be favors over one movie rather than the other. The plot of Cult of Chucky is a good plot considering that it must continue a story and the execution is brilliant. The idea of bringing together all three Chucky's in the same movie is something difficult to pull off and Don Mancino does that perfectly.  
I really like this movie because the plot is amazing, and the unexpected twists keep you on the edge of your seat. The acting is incredible, and I’ve never seen anyone portray a deranged patient like Fiona Douriff (Nica). I liked how Don Mancini tried to continue with Jennifer Tilly in the movies, although some might disagree such as the user Street on Letterbox by saying “Oh goddamnit I thought the whole point of this new series was to get away from the stupid a** Jennifer Tilly continuity.” Why would you even say something so blatantly wrong yet have so much confidence while saying it? Jennifer Tilly plays Chucky’s bride in the past movies so why would the directors try to remove her from the cast. 
To conclude, Cult of Chucky is one of the best movies in the Child’s Play franchise and nothing can change that. Without this movie, the franchise wouldn’t be the same despite Don Mancino taking an unexpected twist which wasn’t favored by quite a few. Overall, I would recommend horror/thriller fans to give the Child’s Play franchise a try as it is bingeworthy and entertaining.