Reassessing ‘Parasite’: Beyond film technique to movie review | Teen Ink

Reassessing ‘Parasite’: Beyond film technique to movie review

By YejoonSim BRONZE, Andover, Massachusetts
YejoonSim BRONZE, Andover, Massachusetts

Parasite is a critically acclaimed South Korean movie that premiered on May 21, 2019, at the Cannes Film Festival. The movie was directed by Bong Joon-Ho, a renowned filmmaker in South Korea. Before Parasite, he directed a number of successful movies, including The Host, Mother, and Snowpiercer, which gained huge popularity by audiences and critics alike. Parasite, however, became a colossal milestone in the film industry due to its diverse aspects, which made it popular worldwide. The movie garnered much attention before it was even released, mainly due to the director’s reputation and the buzz surrounding the Cannes Film Festival. Moreover, the movie’s trailer had already evoked much curiosity among movie enthusiasts due to its unique storyline and relatable characters. It was not long before Parasite became a huge success, breaking box office records in South Korea and gaining immense popularity worldwide. The movie’s popularity and viewership skyrocketed when it won four Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, and Best International Feature Film, in the 92nd Academy Awards. This was a historic moment for Parasite as it became the first-ever non-English language movie to win Best Picture at the Oscars. Its diverse aspects, including its storyline, characters, and film techniques, contributed to its immense popularity.

Parasite is known for its use of various film techniques, including symbols, foreshadows, and hidden meanings. The movie expertly uses these techniques to convey its themes and messages to the audience. For example, the use of stairs in the Kim family’s apartment is located in a basement, and they have to climb stairs to get to the Park family’s house, which is situated on a hill, representing the social hierarchy between the two families. Another example of Parasite’s film technique is its use of foreshadowing. The movie hints at its ending through subtle clues, such as the smell of the bunker and the Morse code. Moreover, the use of the peach as a symbol of love and disgust is another instance of Parasite’s use of film technique. The peach appears throughout the movie, and its meaning changes as the plot progresses, adding depth and complexity to the story.

The exquisite film technique used in Parasite contributed substantially to its success and popularity. Director Bong Joon-Ho employed various cinematic tools such as symbols, foreshadowing, and hidden meaning to enrich the movie’s narrative and add depth to its characters. This creative approach to filmmaking captivated audiences and elevated the movie beyond a typical story. It created an immersive experience that encouraged viewers to engage with the movie on a profound level, driving them to become more invested in the characters and their stories. The expert use of symbols and foreshadowing in Parasite was instrumental in conveying the movie’s messages and themes. The symbols were used to represent the social and economic class divide prevalent in South Korean society. The movie’s representation of the social hierarchy through the use of stairs, with the Kim family living in a subterranean dwelling and the Park family occupying a luxurious mansion atop a hill, was a masterstroke that struck a chord with audiences worldwide. This intricate use of film technique made the movies universally relatable and relevant, despite being set in a specific social context.

Parasite’s creative use of film technique and storytelling approach inspired a wave of online discussions and analysis, generating immense interest and curiosity among viewers. This allowed the movie to be a hot topic among YouTube creators and film enthusiasts, amplifying its reach and impact. The online conversations helped to contextualize the movie’s social commentary within a broader cultural context, increasing its cultural significance and global recognition. Parasite’s success is a testament to the power of quality filmmaking, much like Avatar, which also broke barriers and overcame cultural and linguistic boundaries. These movies
have opened the doors for more foreign-language movies to gain recognition and popularity, proving that skilful filmmaking can capture the attention and captivate the hearts of audiences worldwide. Parasite’s recognition at the Oscars and its widespread acclaim has paved the way for other foreign-language movies to be appreciated and recognized globally, leading to more diverse and inclusive storytelling.

As someone who has watched Parasite and studied its film technique and storytelling approach, I must say that it is a masterpiece that transcends cultural and linguistic boundaries. The film’s unique approach to social commentary and its ability to capture the complexities of class struggles in a gripping, cinematic narrative is inspiring. It was the social media platform that allowed me to actively engage with interpreting unveiled meanings of Parasite. Not only did the movie offer an opportunity to redefine its title, but it was also the movie review clips that facilitated discussions. The coexistence of the film industry and social media platforms is expected to collaborate in generating new cinematic values.