Review, Interrupted | Teen Ink

Review, Interrupted MAG

By edwardcullenswifeandgf SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
edwardcullenswifeandgf SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

meow :3

Mental health is a topic rarely discussed in the real world. When it comes to our own psyche, it’s pushed under the rug and never shown in a realistic light. Mental Illness isn’t pretty, but it’s not ugly, either. “Girl, Interrupted” (1999) is a movie that paints an interesting and bittersweet picture of the turmoil of psychiatric care in the 60s and the relationship between its patients. Starring Winona Ryder as Susanna Kaysen and Angelina Jolie as Lisa Rowe, the bittersweet film painfully portrays the struggles of mentally ill women. Its storytelling is smart, fast-paced, and emotional to watch. It’s the perfect movie for audiences who enjoy dramatic films.

One of the many factors that make “Girl, Interrupted” unique is the subtlety of its storytelling. Facts are not outright handed to the audience; listening and attention are crucial. This detail is exceptionally beautiful in the conversation of mental health; mental health is often overlooked, and we often are not able to realize when our loved ones are struggling. The theme of Susanna’s identity is superbly explored in multiple facets: her relationship with Lisa, her perception of herself, and her relationship with her doctors during the course of the movie. Susanna’s relationship with Lisa brought to light her fragile identity with those around her. She changes her personality to fit in better with Lisa and only realizes her faults when Lisa calls Susanna “Jaime” — Lisa’s former best friend. Susanna is forced to look internally at her identity and become her own person, not someone dragged along by Lisa or by doctors. She has to decide for herself what she will do with her life, explicitly stated by the head nurse, Valerie (Whoopi Goldberg).

While the theme of mental health is portrayed tastefully in “Girl, Interrupted,” there is an elephant in the room regarding the movie’s unnecessary racism, which was not present in the book. In multiple instances, the main characters are bigoted toward Valerie, which adds no movement to the plot. These scenes are deeply uncomfortable. Fans argue that they helped illustrate the time period of the movie, but that was already communicated through the setting and items in the background itself. There was no need to bring unnecessary persecution into play. This sentiment holds true when considering black viewers who have expressed discomfort with these scenes.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed “Girl, Interrupted” and recommend it to anyone looking for a film to watch on a rainy day or to anyone who likes to watch movies that have an abundance of substance. However, as with most things, the film has to be watched with a veil of criticism and understood by a level-headed audience.

Girl, Interrupted is one of my favorite films of all time. It means a lot to me.