Home Alone 2: Lost in New York | Teen Ink

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

December 31, 2019
By Anonymous

 Home Alone 2: Lost in New York proves to be an adventurous sequel that attempts to add to the Home Alone franchise and continue the adventures of a beloved Christmas classic. Once again revolving around young Kevin McCallister, Kevin must learn yet again the true meaning of Christmas upon making some questionable decisions. After getting into a feud with his older brother, Kevin feels despised and picked on by his family, becoming an easy outcast and someone that always serves as a scapegoat. This is eventually why Kevin is punished and sent to sleep in the attic the night before taking a family trip to Florida. However, this doesn't prevent Kevin from going to the airport with his family, with all the other members of his family managing to get to the airport as well. Despite this, things quickly turn sour. While at the airport, Kevin struggles to keep up with the rest of the members of his family, especially because he is younger and they are all in a hurry to catch a flight, and Kevin quickly loses track of everyone, including his father. This causes Kevin to accidentally hop aboard a different plane than that of his family, and this is why he heads towards New York City, while everyone else goes to Florida. Alone and lost in the dangerous and large Manhattan, Kevin must quickly decide what to do next, especially now that there's no one to tell him what to do or instruct him in this time of need. Kevin attempts to find a room at the Plaza Hotel, find ways to get by in terms of food, and he uses his usual antics to get by as he wants. As Kevin begins to have the time of his life living on his own, he must quickly change his outlook when he learns that two bandits have escaped from jail. These are the same bandits that have given Kevin a hard time in the past and have plans to continue stealing and rob a friendly old man's toy store. With Kevin determined to ensure that this doesn't happen, he has one of the craziest Christmases of his life as he tries to defy the odds and defeat two dangerous bandits. 

 Home Alone 2: Lost in New York tries its hardest to perform once again all of the strongest components of the original film, and it largely uses many of the same elements and components as the original. In fact, the premise of the movie is so similar in concept that it occasionally feels like it's essentially the same movie, except executed in a less well-composed manner. All of the plot points of the film mimic the original, often becoming eerily and precisely similar, and while this might result in making a fan-favorite sequel that only continues to give fans what they enjoyed so much the first time, it also causes the movie to sometimes feel like a poor replica. The movie certainly doesn't feel that fresh or unexpected, and seeing as the movie largely performs the same tasks as the original, audiences don't ever feel that riveted or surprised by any of the twists that are intended to be surprising. This is often responsible for creating an overly simplistic plot that lacks the sophistication necessary to genuinely shake viewers to their very core. 
 Home Alone 2: Lost in New York may not be the kind of movie that will satisfy viewers of all shapes and sizes, but the film is still packed to the brim with plenty of nostalgic elements that will bring watchers back to fond childhood memories. The movie is still more than capable of forming a pleasant Christmas adventure, and just like the original, the true meaning of everyone's favorite time of the year is showcased and made an important focal point. Kevin McCallister must once again learn the importance of family and why it's necessary to care for those closest to him, and as he does such, there is plenty of humor as a result. In fact, when Kevin battles against the vicious bandits, the movie is easily at its peak, managing to form plenty of enjoyable entertainment. Just like the original, the battle between a young boy in Kevin and two clueless robbers is once again humorous in its entirety, and it will certainly bring out the inner child in everyone. 

 Home Alone 2: Lost in New York may not be a terrific work of cinematography, or nearly as good as the original, but it does accomplish its goal in providing viewers more of the splendid characters that they were attracted to from the franchise's beginning. With aid from a few noteworthy performances, including Macaulay Culkin's Kevin McCallister and Joe Pesci's Harry Lime, the movie is still more than capable of recreating the beloved and famous characters of the franchise. As the infusion of character development works its magic throughout the film, the movie proves to still remain a must-see for fans of the original. 


The author's comments:

"This it it, no turning back, another Christmas in the trenches." - Kevin McCallister