Mortal Engines | Teen Ink

Mortal Engines

Whenever one of my favorite books is made into a movie all I can really feel is excitement; as I think that's any reader. “Mortal Engines” is a great book, therefore I was very excited to see the movie. When they make a movie adaptation out of the books they always seem to be skewed between the two. In this adaptation, I was a little disappointed but, yet thoroughly surprised in a couple different aspects. “Mortal Engines” has a tolerable storyline and, the action and visuals are astounding. The entire movie was all and all extremely surprising to me.

The flow of the storyline was okay at most. There were some points that were a little confusing, even when I had previously read the book. In the movie, the development of the two main characters was pretty drastic. Then the other characters never had their chance to develop. Whenever one of my favorite books is made into a movie all I can really feel is excitement; as I think that's any reader. “Mortal Engines” is a great book, therefore I was very excited to see the movie. When they make movie adaptations out of the books they always seem to be skewed between the two. In this adaptation, I was a little disappointed but, yet thoroughly surprised in a couple different aspects. “Mortal Engines” has a tolerable storyline and, the action and visuals are Whereas in the book it seemed to be a bit broader. The director had left a lot out of the movie that was in the book, which in my opinion made the book better. Yet, there were still a lot of aspects of a good story. The action in it partially made up for the stories disadvantages.

This movie is a really unique one and shows light on things I couldn’t imagine. The visuals of it were fantastic. Everything I imagined in my head while reading the book was about the same in the movie, and somehow better. The beginning started out with an eye-catching action scene that really sucked me in. There weren’t any slow-sluggish areas in the movie either. Something was always happening or going on. With how cool all of it was it still really left me a bit dumbfounded.

Most of the movie had surprised me and I was super excited about that. I was really sad that they changed one of my favorite characters roles, that made her seem a lot more boring and dull. The relationship between two of the characters was really satisfying. I was happy that Hester (Hera Hilmarsdóttir) and Tom (Robert Sheehan) the main characters, had developed very fast in the movie. With those and the visuals, it left me very satisfied.

In the end, I thought the storyline was okay but, not as exciting as the book. The action scenes really caught my attention though. I was then pleasantly surprised. Like I said before it was a little disappointing, especially the storyline part, therefore it finished as a good movie.