Ladybird Review | Teen Ink

Ladybird Review

By astork1322 GOLD, Tekamah, Nebraska
astork1322 GOLD, Tekamah, Nebraska

The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again- Charles Dickens

Ladybird- Review

“Ladybird”, is the coming of age movie of 2017. This masterpiece is directed by Greta Gerwig, and is now critically acclaimed. I have watched this movie myself, and in more ways than one it is incredibly moving. There are some many different conflicts going on, but by the end you know that it is focused on the mother-daughter relationship between Christine and her mother, Marion. You see Christine or Ladybird, (Ladybird is a name Christine gave to herself) struggle through her last year of high-school.

The movie immediately dives in and shows us the similarities and differences between Ladybird and her mother. Greta Gerwig is amazing at throwing subtle hints throughout this movie. Even in the first scene you can notice simple things. As they drive back to Sacramento, at the very beginning, you see the two listening to a recording of John Steinbeck's “Grapes Of Wrath”. As they finish the chapter, Ladybird quickly goes to put in the next tape. Her mother, stopping her saying they should wait awhile before continuing. The peace that they had just had between them is suddenly gone. You can see Ladybird’s annoyance towards her mother. This simply showing that Ladybird is quick to run into a situation before thinking about what would happen. Her mother being the opposite. They want the same things, but they choose to do it in different ways.

This simple thing is enough to get them upset. Which happens multiple times throughout the movie. As they continue to drive their fighting escalates. Ladybird gets so fed up to the point where she opens up her door, and throws herself out the car, breaking her arm.

The next scene of the movie shows that Ladybird goes to a catholic school. Although she does go to this school, she doesn’t really agree with everything she is taught. In fact throughout the movie she states she doesn’t even like California. Ladybird is naive, and doesn’t appreciate everything she is given while she is young. She thinks of herself as a free spirit. She is also more of a dreamer. You can see this as she tells her mom that she wants to go to a college in New York, or maybe even New Hampshire. Even the times when she says that her weaknesses could someday be her strengths.

I had mentioned before that Ladybird is incredibly impulsive and doesn’t think through her decisions. Even at the end of the movie, when she has just left home and just begun college, without thinking she gets herself into trouble. This is one of Ladybird’s traits that makes her seem human. As she makes her way through this last senior year, you see the pain and joy of getting older. That is why this movie is so easy to relate to.

The final scene of the movie is what finally shows us that Ladybird has matured. She walks into a church, after getting out of the hospital from the night before (she ended up in the hospital because she passed out the night before).  After she walks into the church she listens awhile, before leaving. As she walks out she pulls out her phone. Soon enough she calls her mother, but it goes to voicemail. As she stands out on the sidewalk, she leaves an emotional message to her mother. She starts by saying that it is Christine. For the first time in the movie she is using her actual name. This shows that she has left her childish tendencies behind.

As she continues to talk she asks her mother if she felt something the first time she drove in Sacramento, because she had. She had never told her mother this because they weren’t on speaking terms. As she tells her about this, you watch videos of her and her mother driving interchange. It is a beautiful way of showing their similarities with this simple video.

Before ending the call she tearfully thanks her mother. She is finally able to say this after all their fights, and heartache. With this single phone call we are able to see that going away from home has really opened up Ladybird’s eyes.

As she ends the call, the movie ends itself. It leaves you wanting more yet loving where you left off. “Ladybird” is an outstanding movie, and it lives up to all my expectations. This movie will leave you laughing and crying, but most of all it makes you feel young again.

Ladybird is my favorite movie and I highly recommend you watch it. 

LiveFromNewYork SILVER, Frederick, Maryland

"If you want to be happy, be."
-Leo Tolstoy

You do such a good job breaking down the themes and nuances of this film! lady Bird is definitely one of the best movies I've seen in the last few months...it's so nice to find someone else who loves it too :-)