Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

December 9, 2017
By Barry GOLD, Ashburnham, Massachusetts
Barry GOLD, Ashburnham, Massachusetts
14 articles 23 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To be awake is to be alive”


In the book Into the Wild written by Jon Krakauer, the author records the astonishing adventures of Chris McCandless in the wild. Whether what McCandless did is ethical or not is controversial. Many argue that he is unprepared and selfish to pursue his so-called life meanings, resulting in his death and his family’s sorrow, while others contend that he achieves something that offers him perpetual existence. Regarding McCandless’ sister’s words that he reaches “eternal life,” Chris McCandless truly lived because of his beliefs in his own standards, constant efforts to fulfill goals, and feeling of fulfillment in struggling for surviving.


McCandless does not conform to the rules in society, but rather those in his heart. His colleague describes him: “Chris would comply with the rule, but as soon as his shift was over, bang! – the first thing he’d do is peel those socks off” (Krakauer 40). He can temporarily bear the restriction of rules, but it is not his style to constantly follow orders. Besides, he does not wear socks in order to gain a sense of freedom. McCandless also burns “one hundred twenty-three dollars in legal tender to ash and smoke” (Krakauer 29). He is unleashed from the burden of untrustworthy money, revealing his unwillingness to be ruled by normal social ties. In the book, McCandless also illegally goes to Mexico and hunts in the wild. Because of all the fabricated lies and unlimited utilization of human connections, McCandless does not conform to the society that he loses faith in. McCandless has his own standards or inclinations; therefore, he is not disturbed by any other comments or imposed restrictions on him, which is important to students as well.


McCandless constantly makes efforts to achieve his goals. Many people that McCandless encounters on his road to Alaska tell him the risk of going there; therefore, McCandless is well-informed about the dangers of Alaska. However, there is no point at which McCandless wants to alter his destination. After encountering a flood in his car, he decides to “simply abandon the Datsun and resume his odyssey on foot” (Krakauer 29). The diction, “odyssey”, perfectly demonstrates the unimaginably long journey that McCandless is ready to continue on. When the colossal difficulty challenges him, he says, “Over 25 pounds lost. But his spirit is soaring” (Krakauer 37). Even though he was already emaciated, his enthusiasm motivates him to persist against problems without any thought of giving up. Once McCandless sets a goal for himself, he does not stop fighting for it. This characteristic makes his life purposeful. Purposes are the essential meaning of life; therefore, McCandless truly lived.


Although McCandless’s heedless actions cause his extreme weaknesses, he has hope for surviving the trip and fulfilling his adventure. McCandless leaves a note asking for help when he goes out to seek food. He obviously does not want to die; otherwise, he would not have left a message behind. After writing McCandless’s story down and getting to know him on a personal level, Krakauer claims, “I believe, in the case of Chris McCandless – that was a very different thing from wanting to die” (Krakauer 156). Krakauer unveils McCandless’ desire to be saved, which is hidden to most readers. Moreover, knowing that McCandless fights for a personal goal instead of death, and that he has already worked towards his goal, allows him to die with peace and satisfaction. The quality that should be considered essential to define if a person truly lived is the desire to live. If a person gives up his life intentionally, he certainly cannot be categorized as someone who truly lived. The living will is the simplest but also the highest purpose of life, which is well presented by McCandless. On the other hand, McCandless has already tried his best for his goal even though he is stopped by a river at the end. Thus, his dedication allows him to leave nature with a sense of contentment that reflects his life meaning.


McCandless certainly truly lived, considering his freedom, effort, and fulfillment before death. The story of McCandless teaches students not always be to restricted by societal standards, but to form individual goals to fulfill. Many people in the world may live very well with their jobs, houses, and family. They see this as a correct form of life. It is McCandless who discovers how to truly live in the wild.