A Million Little Pieces by James Frey | Teen Ink

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

By shouting2Bsilent PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
shouting2Bsilent PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois

Feet, what do I need you for if I have wings to fly?

"When one lives free without fear, one cannot be broken; when one lives with fear, one is broken before one begins to live" -James Frey

In a dramatic page-turner, James Frey writes of his 6 weeks in rehab towards detoxicification. Waking up, for what seems like the hundreth time, on a plane with a broken nose, teeth knocked out, blood and other human substances on his pants, and a hole in his cheek, James, a 23 year old alcholic and drug addict of various deadly drugs, has no memory of the pat two weeks.

Upon arriving at a treatment facility, James undergoes a rigorous abstinece program conducted of AA testimonies and sermons of the power in faith. James doesn't believe in the "12 steps" and even doubts God himself. After keeping to himself for a few days, and being warned of getting the boot, James is visited by te people he hates the most: his family. His mother, an emotional wreck, his father, a confused and sympathetic man who wants only the best for James, and his brother, the only one who has actually seen and somewhat understands the real James. They all come and try to convince James to stay, to finish what he started. They bring with them love, but James wants nothing of it. They don't understand, it's not their fault he's like this. It never was.

Equippped with a small title-less book filled with the simplest of all knowledge, a "friend" or two,and what he thinks might be love, Lilly, James struggles to free his body of everything. At times, he is victorious,but the hunger, the hot blazing screaming itching hunger for a little something, ANYTHING, is always right behind him.

The strong message of one's own will power, is overbearing. As I reader, I HIGHLY recommend for others to dive into the world of addiction, and read actually READ the small printed words that shout beautifully of having faith, and strength in yourself. Many times this book has been accused of being "fake", that every word James writesis nothing but fiction. i dissagree completely. Fiction cannot hold the intensity of reality. And THIS...this book, is 100% real.

Addiction can be anything from drugs, to cleanliless. It's an OBSSESSION.And to overcome an adiction, on your own, should be honored, not doubted.

*Note: this work of art holds descriptive imagery of mature situations. There is some language in it. It may not be suitable for all readers. Read at your expense. But TRUST ME: IT IS WORTH THE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS. Read on.