The Luxe | Teen Ink

The Luxe

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

A story with romance, drama, and action, The Luxe, by Anna Godbersen, is a must read. Set in Manhattan in the late 1800's, Elizabeth Holland, and her sister Diana Holland, live a life of luxury. Their lives are filled with fancy balls, the most expensive dresses and their own servants. When the sisters find out that they are actually out of money and in debt, Elizabeth is forced to marry a rich upper class socialite much like herself, even though her heart belongs to the family's carriage driver, Will. To make things even more complicated, Elizabeth's sister, Diana, and Elizabeth's fiancée, Henry, fall in love with each other. Penelope Hayes, Elizabeth's supposed best friend, likes Henry, and will do anything to ruin Elizabeth's wedding.
Anna Godbersen gave her characters beautiful voice, each with unique personalities, from the plotting Penelope Hayes, to the proper Elizabeth Holland, each chapter you get insight from a new characters point- of- view. Godbersen also gives a sense of what life was like during the turn of the century. I loved this book, the events are always changing in the socialite's lives. It's hard not to want to continue reading, and find out what happens next. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read historical fiction, or romance novels.