The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead | Teen Ink

The Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

By Priyadarshini GOLD, Kodaikanal, Other
Priyadarshini GOLD, Kodaikanal, Other

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
― Dr. Seuss

A book full of surprises, romance, friendship and action is the formula specially formatted for teenagers. Any teenager who goes to the library looks especially for these three elements in a book. All three of them merged together in a big cauldron and mixed and intertwined will give us a magic of its own! And poof the mystical yet wonderful book known as the vampire academy has formed.
The title itself “The vampire academy” sends thrills down our spines or makes us think of the undying immortal love between Bella and Edward Cullen in Twilight. And of course the twists and hardships the poor couple had to go through to fight for their love.
Although both Twilight and the Vampire Academy have some element of “Vampire” in them, they are yet very different.
In the vampire academy we see a series of relationships amongst vampire themselves. There are the Moroi who are the royal vampires and the Dhampirs who are the soldiers who protect the Moroi and the Strigoi who have to feed off another vampire and lose their soul.
Other than mystical vampires we also have the alchemists a group of people who protect the human beings from the dangers of the vampires, especially those such as the Strigoi. They have shimmering shiny gold powder which is used for making those dead Strigoi corpses disappear. They are like angels bound to protect the humans forever.
From these characters we can easily figure out that the vampire academy shows us a very different perspective of the world. It is a world which depicts very less of human kind and a majority of vampires. This is indeed very interesting to read as it shows us how life would be like in a “Vampire” world. For me it is a world I can get engulfed in, either to forget my sorrows or for the mere joy of reading.

While speaking about getting involved in a book one of the main elements which caught my attention is romance. The vampire academy tells us about the relationship between a young man Dimitri and a young woman Rose although both of them are Dhampirs their love is restricted by another factor which is age. This is very significant in the book as most of the other books talk about human vs. non-human romance, but not how a factor such as age affects a relationship.

The strong understanding and love between the two masks the indifference of age and brings me a waterfall of tears. It feels like I am the character herself and can feel every single moment of agony and blissfulness.

In addition to this we can never guess what is about to happen next! Usually when we read books we have the ability to predict what is going to happen. And mostly Alas! We were right! Although we get a satisfaction that we are right there is no thrill or mystery in getting it right.

In the vampire academy what we predict never happens. There are always a series of twists and turns in the story which heightens our senses and thrills us to the extreme.
Even for a book worm like me who reads almost a book every two days this has been the best book so far. There are the tiniest details which makes it seem like we are living in that type of situation right now. It teaches us lessons and gives us insights on how to solve our problems. Also teaches us whether to follow our heart or our mind. No other book my friends could be better in getting even the most restless teen to sit straight in their chair and read. This is one of the books which each individual has to read. It has gotten the best-selling award because it is the best. So what are you waiting for? Get a cup of coffee, a chair by the fire and read!

The book that offers a spice of every emotion.