The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater | Teen Ink

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

June 15, 2012
By ladybugsrock SILVER, Billings, Montana
ladybugsrock SILVER, Billings, Montana
6 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson


Imagine something called The Scorpio Races which happens every 1st of November where riders capture and train water horses to ride in a blood thirsty race around the island.

Puck, a 16-year old, never ever thought she would have to ride in these races with the deathly water horses that killed her parents, but fate has a way of working things out by itself. After her parents died, Puck is left alone with her older brother Gale and her younger brother Finn. Money is tight for the three and a rich man living on the island has threatened to take away their house. Now the oldest brother Gabe decides to leave his siblings and go to the Mainland to find a job. Puck’s only hope is entering the Scorpio Races, the first girl ever to do so.
This book grabbed me on the arm and threw me into the pages. The author, Maggie Stiefvater, did an excellent job with colorful descriptions. Every chapter’s end left me turning the page to read on because I was hooked from the beginning to end.
In this book, the point of view changes between Sean, a 4-time winner of the Scorpio Races, and Puck, a 1st time contender. As the two begin seeing each other on the beach as they train, they develop a special relationship and eventually begin to train together.
This book is all about trust. Who does Puck learn to trust throughout the races and who loses Sean’s trust one late night?


The author's comments:
I just finished the book, The Scorpio Races, and I definintely wanted to recommend this book to others! I hope people will read my review and consider reading the book!