Dead Girls Don't Write Letters by Gail Giles | Teen Ink

Dead Girls Don't Write Letters by Gail Giles

July 8, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Dead Girls Don't Write Letters by Gail Giles was a hard book to follow. When I first began reading, I understood what was going on, but towards the end I was lost.
Fourteen-year-old Sunny gets a letter from her dead sister, Jazz, saying she is coming home, but how is that possible? A few days later, a girl who claims she is Jazz shows up on their front door. She is taller and prettier than Jazz; she has the same hair color and personality, but she isn't Jazz. She knows a lot about the family, but not enough.
The family eventually figures out that she isn't Jazz and asks her to leave. When she is gone, they agree to pretend it never happened. But, when Sunny's grandmother comes to stay with them, Sunny tells her all about it. Her parents deny it. Sunny's grandmother believes that Sunny is telling stories, trying to get attention. Sunny eventually puts it behind her. She moves away to boarding school where she makes her first friends. Everything goes well for Sunny until another letter, this one from herself, arrives at the school.
Gail Giles had a good idea for the story, but I thought it was confusing. I recommend this book if you are ready for confusion.