Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe | Teen Ink

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

April 8, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Robinson Crusoe is a classic adventure written by Daniel Defoe. Published about three hundred years ago (1719). Robinson Crusoe is an adventure that is hard to put down, once you start reading it. This story is set on a remote island, that the character was marooned with no mean of survival. The story is based in a large part on the survival skill of Robinson Crusoe, and later moves to adventures with other characters involved. Even thought the characters in whole story are very few, and most of the events in the book are about everyday life, the location of the story makes that routine eventful, and exciting.

The first part of the story dealt with the struggle of Robinson Crusoe, trying to survive on the island, by establishing a routine for his survival. His worries were shelter, food, and fresh water. Something most of us take for granted unless we are suddenly deprived off.
Daniel Defoe will keep you guessing how Robinson Crusoe will get his next meal or how safe he is in his man made shelter.
Also, by letting Robinson Crusoe plant seeds of wheat and corn, the author is letting us know that his stay on the island will be long, and that more adventures are expected. By the discovery of footprints and signs of human life.
It is hard for someone to go through school life without claiming that he or she has not read Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. It is not my, or anyone else's place to recommend this three hundred years old classic. It is rather its long history as one of the greatest adventures ever written.
What is most striking is the contrast in the way living, thinking human race, and habits between the eighteenth century and now. The world might have moved on from Daniel Defoe's days, but this great classic refuses to fade away.