Hatchet by Gary Paulsen | Teen Ink

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Hatchet is about a boy named Brian. He's flying over to his father in a private plane to Canada somewhat near the Great Lakes. He was going to his father and help him in the woods during the summer. During the flight the pilot has a heart attack and dies very suddenly. If it weren't for Brian swift actions of turning the plane instead of the woods, he would be very much dead.

He survives the crash and leaves the plane with only a hatchet. During a storm the plane that crashed into the lake, the tail come up and inside is a survival kit that Brian gets. Inside the kit is food, matches and an emergency transmitter that Brian accidentally turns on so a passing over pilot hears it and rescues him.

Who: Brian is by himself in the Canadian wilderness and surviving only on research. Brian never had any experience actually out in the harsh wilds. Only from books and media (that actually helps).

What: His surroundings are nothing he expected besides the devastating winter coming soon. He finds an emergency survival kit inside the crashed plane. Finds all the necessary items for survival and a radio.

This book especially made me think about how it is to start out with nothing but hatchet and survive with it for more than two months. Boredom and isolation mist be so hard for him. He was alone and had no one to talk too.

I feel that my review covered the whole adventure. From the plane crash to the rescue the entire journey. Compared to the model review I think the model was more organized than mine. I think I like mine better because it was my own work I put into it.

Isabel said...
This is an awesome book and I would suggest that anybody read this.

... .. ... said...
I read this book and loved it. but u gave all of it away. plus u didn't make much sense. I give the book a five star. but your review, a 1

lazyboy123 said...
You had a good review but i didn't give you the fifth star because you gave away key points in the plot and the ending.

kakianak said...
Perfect.