Because of Win-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo | Teen Ink

Because of Win-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo

“Who let a dirty dog in here?”Pg.7 Because of Win-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo describes how one dirty dog can change a young girl’s life one friend after another.

India Opal Buloni is a 10 year old girl who is sent to the grocery store to get food for dinner and decides to stick up for a dog who is about to go to the pound. Opal (what her dad calls her) names the gross as a garbage can dog Win-Dixie. The dog has such a personality that he brings together Opal and her new friends in the small town of Naomi, Florida. Opal’s dad is a preacher at an old gas station turned church and one of her problems is to get him out of his “shell.” But Opal soon finds out that Win-Dixie is uncontrollable during thunderstorms which if you have to Florida you would know that there is a lot of them there. Opal’s main problem, which is actually all of her new friends problem too……. Will they solve Opal’s problem? Read the book to find out.

My opinion is that it is one of the funniest books I have ever read. This book has won the Newberry Honor Award and the 2000 Parent’s Choice Award!

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to read funny, sad, and happy and everything in between. The theme of the book is that people come together and stay together through problems.