Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli | Teen Ink

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

“She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the fitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a corkboard like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew.” As this quote from Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli illustrates this is an amazing book.

A boring school in Arizona with boring people. Everything is dull, but it doesn't stay that way forever. Leo, a boy at Mica High first hears her name in homeroom, “Stargirl.” She's weird, exciting and different. The students at Mica don't know what to do with her. In the halls she says hello to complete strangers. At lunch she sings to people on their birthday with her ukulele. When it's raining she goes outside and dances in it. Also she has a pet rat named Cinnamon that she brings to school. Leo and his friend Kevin thinks she's perfect for their show Hot Seat, where they ask the person embarrassing questions, but strangely enough Leo starts to fall in love with Stargirl.

I really liked this book. It's funny, sad and it has a little romance. It hooks you in right away, mostly because the author's style is great. You feel like your right there with Leo watching Stargirl. Leo soon finds out that someone so different and weird should be excepted because they can be a great person. I would recommend the book Stargirl to anyone. It's a great book and more people should read it.

I hope that the next person that reads the book Stargirl will really enjoy it as much as I did. This book hooks you in until the end.