Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli | Teen Ink

Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli

Star Girl

Bibliography:

Spinelli, Jerry. (2000). Star Girl.

New York: Scholastic, Inc.
Summary:

Star Girl is about an odd girl who calls herself Star girl. She was new in school that year and she wasn't like anybody else. She sang to everyone on their birthday and she was genuinely nice. She would send people things they needed and leave them on the front porch, but no card to say who it was from. She cheered for their school in football and basketball, but when she started to cheer for the other team as well, people started to boo her and give her the cold shoulder. Leo, a boy at school, soon became very close to Star Girl, you could even call them an item, he found out every crack and turn about her, when she was given the cold shoulder, so was he, just because they were a ‘thing”. When Leo suggested she try to be more like everyone else, and use her real name (Susan) she was much more accepted in school, but she found that being the same meant being everyone instead of being someone. So she became herself again, and at the Ocotillo Ball she found that being her was accepted by everyone, but Hillari Kimble. The slap on the face was all that Hillari had to do and Star Girl was gone, never to be seen again.
Theme:

One theme of this book is individuality. Star Girl found that she would rather be someone than blend in with everyone. If being accepted meant changing to be something your not, she wasn't ready to settle.
Recommendation:

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I think it sends out the best most important message to people, and that is to be yourself and not to change just to fit in or to please people but let them accept you for who you are and when they do you've found a real friend. I also love her cheer it's really cute. Star Girl is very quirky and fun, she is who she is and she doesn't let anything hold her back. I love this book so much.
Genre:

This is a contemporary fiction book because it is set in this century, but the story isn't true.
Rating:

I would definitely give this book a 10. It has the best message and is extremely fun to read. Oddly hard to put down!