Paranormalcy by Kiersten White | Teen Ink

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

Evie has been an employee of the International Paranormal Containment Agency since she was 8 years old. She has a unique talent that makes her invaluable; she can see through any paranormal's glamour. That means that she has spent the last half of her life chasing (and tasing) vampires, trolls, spirits and perhaps a hag or two. Past the supernatural-police officer part, though, she is an ordinary teenage girl who has an obsession with the color pink and animal-printed wall decor. She wants nothing quite so much as to go to high school and see a real, live, genuine locker.

Her life is thrown all sideways when a new, never-before seen paranormal (who happens to be a very cute teenage boy) breaks into the IPCA Center in search of information. He has the ability to take on any face with his glamour, and Evie is the only one who can see the real him. While he is imprisoned, she visits him frequently and they become friends. He won't say why he what he was looking for or why, but it has something to do with the mysterious murders of dozens of paranormals.

Stalked by a crazy faerie, starting to fall in love with a decidedly odd boy, and finding out that she may not be entirely human tells Evie that she is in big trouble, or perhaps she is the trouble.

I love Evie. What isn't there to like about a girl with attitude, an eccentric fashion sense and a pink taser? Despite her eerie abilities, she is so human and it is easy to sympathize with her wish for a normal life and family.

Lend is cool. Not only is he cute, but he is also sensitive, brave, and willing to put up with terrible high school soap opera tv shows. I loved how he always looked different whenever Evie went to visit him. Sometimes he was Chinese, black, pimply, old or extremely good-looking. I also liked that it didn't matter to Evie what he looked like. (Not that she didn't think he was handsome.)

Normally I avoid vampires, so one would think that the fact that you encounter a vampire on the first page would have me shutting the book forever, but I felt so sorry for the bloodsucker that I couldn't. Poor Steve, he had me laughing within thirty seconds of reading.

Though this book has many of the elements of a dark fantasy and several creepy moments, it was overall a very light-hearted story. There was joking, flirting and silliness throughout. I enjoyed this book a lot.

BeyondMe BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan

"I used to want the words "She tried" on my tombstone. Now I want "She did it."
~Katherine Dunham

This is such an amazing book! You did a cool job on the review!