The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

July 23, 2010
By LeAzzurri SILVER, Dulles, Virginia
LeAzzurri SILVER, Dulles, Virginia
5 articles 5 photos 8 comments

WWII. Holocaust. Nazi Germany. Hitler. Any one of these words sends a foreboding shiver down your spine. Mix these themes with Death himself, a foster girl who hungers for books, a fist-fighting Jew, and numerous instances of thievery, and in your hands you are left with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
To describe all of this story's strengths would be impossible. The flow of the language, the vivid imagery, and the uniqueness of the story itself are some of the few incredibly excellent elements in The Book Thief. The colorful cast of characters also play a huge role in telling a story that will touch your heart.
Most books relating to the Holocaust and Nazis feature a Jewish or other persecuted ethnic person as a protagonist. However, not only is this story narrated by Death personified, but his connection to the world of the living is not an inmate of a concentration camp. Instead, The Book Thief focuses on a young teenage girl named Liesel Meminger. Liesel is placed in foster care by her mother for reasons unknown to the girl...at first. As the story progresses, Liesel develops tender and comical relationships with her foster parents, her neighbors, and the unexpected "visitor" that comes to live in her basement.
Don't be daunted by the book's length; you will be wrapped up in the story the moment you open the first page. If you're looking for an excellent read, look no further than The Book Thief.