The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry

June 25, 2010
By sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire
22 articles 3 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi


“The Silent Boy” is yet another one of Newbery Medal-winning author Lois Lowry’s incredibly thought-provoking novels. I have read quite a few of her books, and though each one never fails to impress me, this was one of my favorites by a long shot. In “The Silent Boy”, Lowry creates fictional characters with powerful personalities, which she places in the historical time period of the early 1900’s. The story’s narrator is Katy, an intelligent little girl whose innocence towards the horrors of the world is starting to slip away. Katy hopes to be a doctor someday like her father. She is particularly observant for her age, and takes interest in studying the people around her.

Katy develops a certain curiosity for a mentally disabled boy in town. Jacob is mute, but he is gentle beyond comparison and has a certain way with animals. Katy sees much more in Jacob than the people around her do. He does not speak with her, but they form a type of understanding with each other as they spend time together with the horses in the stable. Katy is the only person who understands Jacob’s true intentions when he makes a terrible mistake.

The Horn Book Magazine calls this novel “emotionally devastating and infinitely haunting.” Though the book isn’t suitable for a child’s bedtime story, its ability to grasp the heart of the reader amazes me. Lowry balances tear-jerking material with humor to create an unforgettable and historically-accurate novel. An antique photograph precedes each chapter to contribute to the already strong sense of setting.
I found this book both brilliant and deeply touching. I strongly recommend it to all teenagers and young adults.