*Just Ella* by Margaret Peterson Haddix | Teen Ink

*Just Ella* by Margaret Peterson Haddix

March 6, 2010
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


It took me a while to decide how I felt about this book. Well, I've decided: I don't like it. While Ms. Haddix can write mystery and suspense quite well, and even "Because of Anya" grabbed my attention, fractured-fairy-tales are not her fortay.
The story takes place in Prince Charming's castle after the ball, and after the prince searches the entire kingdom for his beloved Cinderella. Although she believes loving the prince means she should suffer through all the rules and regulations of castle life, she soon discovers she would be much happier just being allowed out of the castle every once in awhile.
But a mystery unfolds about her magical night with the prince, that uncovers a conspiracy behind the phrase, "You are so beautiful, Princess".
This story shows us a different side of the Cinderella story we all know so well. It's a story with no fairy godmother and one with no magic. Although the lesson behind the story is clear: Beauty ISN'T everything.
This, to me, was not a very good story. It was written for girls around the ages of ten and twelve, but I would not let my tween read this book. The sensuality and innuendo are heavy, and Ms. Haddix tries a little too hard to add suspense to the mix, by adding a rapist as the jailer. This story is definitely for older teens.
The writing style was dull and the book was boring and drug on and on, while you wait for something to happen. Although it challenges how we perceive fairy-tale, true love and happily-ever-after, and I applaud Ms. Haddix for her effort, it could have been written better.


The author's comments:
This book did not grab my attention...I was highly disappointed.