The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby

July 20, 2009
By Duffster SILVER, Jounieh, Other
Duffster SILVER, Jounieh, Other
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I am who I am and people can think what they think"- Hilary Duff


“The Great Gatsby” is one of the best novels I have ever read. I am not a fan of novels but this one has made me change my mind. With such a good plot and a great writing, Fitzgerald has definitely made sure The Great Gatsby would be atonement for all readers.

“The Great Gatsby” is a novel of manners: it describes, in a satirical and comic way, the attitudes, habits, behaviors, values and social manners of wealthy people who are judgmental, complicated, brutal, feral, lost, proud, arrogant and fake.
“The Great Gatsby” is also a lost love story: Gatsby, the main character, is in love with Daisy, a married woman whose husband has an affair with the wife of one of his friends; the storyteller Nick also begins a wasted love story with a golfer. Fitzgerald lived very bad moments in his life and his experiences with love are represented in the story – love makes the world go round, just like money which is becoming love. “The Great Gatsby” just reflects the truth about people. And what's so shocking, people have remained the same. Dreams are shattered because they are becoming “sophisticated” and “counterfeit”. People only care about their fortunes – family and friends don't count. Great people are forgotten. Loyalty only exists in dictionaries.
Poor Fitzgerald, he, without any doubt, achieved a lot in his short life but he is remembered after his death as one of the greatest American writers of the twentieth century for his controversial contradictious way of living and writing: lost in drinking, afraid of critics, broken up by his wife, scared...
One day, I was searching for a word in the dictionary only to find out that an adjective “Gatsbyesque” (created in 1977) means resembling or characteristic of the title character or the world of the novel “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Life-changing, I would say about “The Great Gatsby” which I unquestionably recommend because Fitzgerald wrote a masterpiece with hidden messages to all generations…


The author's comments:
This was my submission to the ATEL Reading Competition 2008-2009. I am French-educated and I tried my best to write this essay... I did not win the competition (one of my friends came in second) but just participating was awesome!