The Last Republicans: Inside the Extraordinary Relationship between George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush | Teen Ink

The Last Republicans: Inside the Extraordinary Relationship between George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush

By RajitRanjanPandey SILVER, Tel Aviv, Other
RajitRanjanPandey SILVER, Tel Aviv, Other

Mark K. Updegrove, in this masterpiece, chronicles one of the most consequential father-son duo in modern history- George Herbert Walker Bush and George Walker Bush, only the second father-son pair in history to hold the American presidency.

George Herbert Walker Bush was born into privilege. His family were generationally affluent and the wealth helped him receive elite education at Andover. Often, he is mistaken as a princeling who made it all with familial wealth. To the contrary, Bush was an overachiever from the very beginning. His sense of patriotism was evident when he enlisted himself in the United States Navy on his eighteenth birthday, against his family’s wishes and when there was no requirement to. He has a close shave with death and earns several laurels, including the coveted Distinguished Flying Cross, for intrepidity. Bush, post-war, would complete university with similar success and establish an oil business-the Zapata Petroleum Corporation. This business would scale great peaks and make George a name for himself and let him escape the shadows of his father and grandfather, who made their riches in the Wall Street. He enters politics like his father Prescott and U.S. Representative. Several high-profile positions follow, like Director of the CIA, US Ambassador to the UN, Head of the U.S. Liaison Office in China and Chairman of the Republican National Committee. Under Ronald Reagan, he serves as Vice-President and finally in 1988, the coveted presidency was his. Bush was also passionately compassionate, who believed in going the extra mile in public service. This attitude was shining brightest when he liberated Kuwait from the tyrant Saddam Hussein’s clutches.

Mr. Updegrove also covers his personal life, such as when he fell in love with Barbara Pierce, of how big a family man he was despite his hectic schedule and the close working relationships he forged with people throughout his remarkable life.

His son, George Walker Bush, was not so. He was academically mediocre and George’s shoes often seemed oversized for his son. He struggled with alcohol abuse. Eventually, he started to improve with his wife Laura’s invaluable support. In 1986, he would cease drinking and pursue religion. After graduating from Yale and Harvard, George W. would own a baseball team and even open Arbusto, an energy company. George W. would become governor of Texas and then in 2000, after a close election, the 43rd President of the United States.

But the younger Bush’s presidency was not peach-and-cream. Under his reign, America would be hit with several poor calls, like the Iraq War, the PATRIOT Act, Hurricane Katrina and in the autumn of his presidency, the ’08 housing crisis. But there is little disagreement that George Walker Bush gave it his best shot.

The book also covers Jeb Bush’s stint in politics. Jeb was the younger son of George H.W. and served as governor of Florida. It extensively discusses Jeb’s unsuccessful run for the Republican nomination in the 2016 presidential election. Jeb seems like a star overshadowed by his elder brother and father.

Mr. Updegrove dedicates this book to his wife, Amy. A wise choice.

This is Rajit, a student from India.

Check out my other account: RajitR!!