Sayonara Eri: The Interweaving of Life and Death, the Mundane and the Movie | Teen Ink

Sayonara Eri: The Interweaving of Life and Death, the Mundane and the Movie

June 25, 2023
By Zoie0518 SILVER, Jinan, Other
Zoie0518 SILVER, Jinan, Other
8 articles 11 photos 0 comments

Blurred images, they are more like movies rather than comics, making people confused between reality and fiction. If the first explosion dues to sorrow of not daring to face death, then the second explosion dues to the relief of death.
"Please shoot until the moment I die..." The protagonist Yuta agreed to his mother's request and began his own movie journey. From the beginning, he was not understood by people and decided to commit suicide. Until he met Eri, he watched countless movies with her in a dilapidated room. Finally, he made a satisfactory movie, depicting the image of his mother and Eri in his mind. However, Eri unfortunately passed away while shooting the film. When he grew up and faced the death of his wife and daughter, he returned to the dark and narrow room and reunited with Eri. Regardless of whether Eri was fantasy at that time or not, Yuta learned to embrace the reality and death. The movie ends and life goes on.
Movies seem to have always played a beautifying role. In the face of a Faced with his seriously ill mother, Yuta chooses to record with the lens record it on camera. The shaking lens and blurred images are life, also they are all he owns. The final explosion of the movie represents the end of the mother's life. The real realistic mother is harsh to people and has a strong utilitarian nature. But in the movie, she is so perfect. A movie is something that allows people to keep good memories forever. It's more like remaking recreating memories than escaping from reality. If he can't face death directly, then make a movie and tell his mother's departure in his ideal way. If memories are doomed to be incomplete, he hopes to keep her most beautiful appearance.
The second movie is called Vampire Love, after Yuta meets Eri. In the movie, Eri is a vampire. When Eri in reality fall in the waves, the movie stops abruptly. This is the second time that Yuta face death. So after editing the Vampire Love , he made a third film, which ran through the whole comic book. It called Sayonara Eri, in order to record the death of Eri. At the end of the movie, the adult Yuta once again meet Eri in the dilapidated room. As a vampire, Eri dies thousands of times and forgets her previous life thousands of times, but she remakes her memory through movies and sinks in the cycle, with no end.
Years later, Yuta is old, but Eri in the movie is still young. Explosion is still the end of the movie. Goodbye Eri, he really gained the ability to accept reality. He realized that real long-term companionship does not exist. People will eventually leave, life and death are inevitable.
Death is the established ending, but the movie helps people soothe their sadness. Goodbye Eri, this time I have learned to face the power of life.
 


The author's comments:

Sayonara Eri: frame by frame like a comic book movie