I'm Glad My Mom Died book review | Teen Ink

I'm Glad My Mom Died book review

By tksalerno BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin
tksalerno BRONZE, Lisbon, Wisconsin

The minute I ripped open the Amazon box that contained the highly sought after I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy, I knew I was in for a trip. With the book being completely sold out worldwide since its release date, my expectations were through the roof. With Jennette starring on nostalgic Nickelodeon shows like iCarly and Sam and Cat in her youth, the book gained a cult following before it was even released. The reviews I had seen prior made the story out to be a juicy “Nickelodeon tell-all”. Despite this making me picture McCurdy on a sofa with Andy Cohen, this book surprisingly has a lot of heart.

I’m Glad My Mom Died is one of the most charming “trauma memoirs” I have ever read. The book mirrors the style and wit of another famous memoir about trauma: Black Boy by Richard Wright. I say this because both works read like fiction and have incredible, snarky comments.

With the book mainly describing McCurdy’s life as an actor in her youth and her struggles with abusive relationships and food, McCurdy is able to connect with readers in a way that I have never seen before. The rave reviews mainly came from teens and young adults who related to McCurdy’s tales about the ups and downs of eating disorders. Being on social media during the release of the memoir, I was able to monitor the impact of the book and how McCurdy’s story influenced teen girls to also share their struggles. Being a teen girl myself, and having past struggles with food, I completely understand the hype around the book. I’m Glad My Mom Died targeted a vulnerable generation and made our stories heard. 

With I’m Glad My Mom Died reading like a punch to the gut, I was surprised to see a charming, comedic side to the horrific stories and memories of McCurdy. All of the jaw dropping moments are perfectly proportioned with McCurdy’s natural comical wit. Whether she is talking about her abusive mother, or a boyfriend who thinks that he is the second coming of Christ, McCurdy writes with a variety of emotion that always makes the tone and mood different every chapter. In addition, McCurdy’s incredible use of detail makes the dialogue very immersive. Whenever you open the book, you never know what you’re going to get, and are transported into the story.

When it comes to an extremely well written memoir, you aren’t just reading about their life. With McCurdy’s incredible use of detail and immersive dialogue, you step into her shoes and experience her life alongside her. With her engaging readers with trauma written in a comical way, 2000s nostalgia, and incredible wit, McCurdy is able to connect with readers in a way I have never seen before. This book will stand the test of time and not become just another celebrity memoir.