peak was not peak | Teen Ink

peak was not peak

November 23, 2022
By AidenM BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
AidenM BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Peak tells the story of a young kid named Peak and his many endeavors as we see him become the best mountain climber in his age bracket. We follow him and his friends throughout the world training to be better mountaineers. We watch them as they climb Mount Everest and the struggles they go through together until they reach the peak. Peak was written by Roland Smith in 2007 and is a realistic fiction novel.

This book is boring and just left me uninspired. The characters all used old tropes and the only thing that kept this book from being just another book was the fact that it's about mountain climbing. The main character's name is a bad pun, it has one of the worst endings that could have possibly happened leaving the reader to be disappointed and underwhelmed. There is no reason to read this book when there are a plethora of infinitely better books to read. At the end of every chapter I was left bored and with an overwhelming feeling of meh. I was never itching to know what happened next. If you really need a book about climbing mountains just read K2: The Savage Mountain, by Charles Houston and Robert Bates.