A Book That Every Human Shuld Read | Teen Ink

A Book That Every Human Shuld Read

July 22, 2022
By Silence_Dogood GOLD, Sydney, Other
Silence_Dogood GOLD, Sydney, Other
13 articles 4 photos 0 comments

Some books are read for fun, while others are read for more serious reasons. The book, “Extraordinary Insects”, is one of the latter. The captivating book, written by Norwegian Biology professor and author Anne Sverdrup-Thygeson, is not just an informative text on insects, but also a way for us to understand the true significance of these small but mighty creatures and our obligation to protect and live in harmony with them. Every human being on Earth should read it for the simple reason that we humans have the responsibility to work together with our fellow species as members of the planet.


The first thing that readers can learn from this book is just how extraordinary insects are. Apart from being the largest order in the whole global ecosystem, Insects have been alive for 400 million years, having seen dinosaurs come and go. Throughout these years, they have developed countless adaptations and features that the book captures so well. The author vividly illustrates the myriad of insect adaptations relating to reproduction, finding food, and escaping predators among other things. The reader could be awakened to the fact that many of the abilities we humans take for granted that only our species have are not only present but advanced in insects. For example, we believe that only humans can practice agriculture, but ants and termites were actually already too familiar with this art long before we humans picked it up. Thus, knowing that insects have been around for so long without faltering would certainly inspire respect for them among our species.


More importantly, the book also gives much insight into the great importance of insects to life on Earth. Insects have been a key part of the food web for all the time they’ve existed. They have also collaborated with many other species. For example, bees have always found nectar in flowers, which they pollinate. The book tells us that this specifically applies to humans as well. It reminds us that human beings are consumers of meat that come from animals that eat insects to stay alive. Insects are key to our industrial production as well. Common commodities we take for granted such as chocolate, coffee, shellac, silk and marzipan could not be produced in high quantities and qualities without the aid of insects. In fact, the book effectively highlights how the significance of insects is even more relevant in a world facing the environmental crisis, using examples such as how mealworms could help solve the plastic problem with their ability to digest plastic. Having the awareness that they could help solve some global issues would make us feel the obligation to protect them.


As we can see, “Extraordinary Insects” pushes humans to respect, protect and work with insects so that the beauty of these animals is preserved and the most are made out of their amazing abilities. Finally, as members of the planet, isn’t it simply necessary for us to learn about and ensure the survival of our fellow species? Therefore, it is no exaggeration to say that all humans have the responsibility to read this book.