Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick | Teen Ink

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

May 27, 2021
By Dr-Nada-Hist-0rian BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Dr-Nada-Hist-0rian BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt


Picture a world where you are judged by everyone because of something you didn’t do, and your only relief is having adventures with your best, and only, friend. This is the premise of the book “Freak the Mighty” by Rodman Philbrick. The book is unique and interesting, and you never know what lies around the corner in every chapter. The book is easy to read but hilarious, and will keep your attention with all pages. This book is genius, and the author uses the sad moments to teach the reader a life lesson, and uses the funny ones to make the reader laugh out loud. I think that anyone would be able to pick it up and not be able to put it down, and with all of the cliffhangers I don’t know if it’s possible! 
         The beginning of the book opens with us getting introduced to Max, a large violent 7th grader who tends to solve his problems by kicking people. He describes how when he was in daycare he met a smart boy called Freak, and how he used to call himself robot boy. Years later Max, who lives in his grandparents’ basement, finds Freak, who’s real name is Kevin, and they quickly become friends. Most of the book shows these two having crazy adventures together, and how they get put in all the same classes and work as a team every day. Max learns to read and do many other things from Kevin, and Kevin leads them on daring quests, rescues, and feats. We discover that Max’s father was nicknamed Killer Kane and was put in jail for murder. The climax is surprising and twisting, and the end will play with your emotions.
       This book is written from Max’s point of view, and it is very easy to read and understand, and the format is very conversational. The author uses this in order to help the reader understand how Max feels, and to put the reader in Max’s shoes. However, while the story is very easy to follow and fun to read, I thought the plot could have had a little more depth, and the book could have been longer. With all of the things Max and Freak do and experience together, it is a little disappointing that it goes by so fast, with many “A week Later” ‘s, and many “School went by fast” ‘s. This kind of makes the book feel a little rushed, and we don’t often see Max contemplate his situations or look at the big picture. In contrast, the book’s fast paced ness allows the story to continue and keep interesting readers, and while a little more descriptive details would have been helpful, and while the shortness of the book lessens its appeal, it is still a heartwarming and hilarious read and can entertain all ages of readers. 
           Throughout the book, we see common ideas spread across the stories like heroism, loyalty, bravery, and perseverance. Max has experienced a life’s share of loss, and this weighs more heavily as the story continues. Kevin tells him at one point that he is going to receive a new body, and this looms over Max for most of the book. When the book comes to a close, the reader can see the impact of their friendship. As it relates to real life, we can see gain through loss and sadness, and hold friendships dearly in our memories.


The author's comments:

I wrote this for a book review assignment at school, but after writing it I figured out I could just put it on Teen Ink! :)