Can't Be Tamed (music video) | Teen Ink

Can't Be Tamed (music video)

May 7, 2010
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


I just watched Miley Cyrus' latest music video, "Can't Be Tamed", and I can honestly say, I'm horrified. I can understand wanting to grow up and out of the Disney spotlight, but seriously, she couldn't have done it differently?

I read an article a few years ago about the Cyrus family, in People magazine. They gave three rules Billy Ray and Tish had given Miley, one of which was reading every and all articles about Brittney Spears and Lindsey Lohan. Tish didn't want Miley to grow up and make the same mistakes these "Disney Angels" made. It doesn't look like they affected her any. "Party in the USA" looks as tame as Demi Lovato's "La La Land" compared to "Can't Be Tamed".

The video begins with high class women and men surrounding an enormous birdcage. A man announces that they have recently discovered a bird, originally thought to be extinct: The Cyrus. They remove the covering from the birdcage to reveal Miley, in a skimpy outfit, featuring tights and giant wings. Miley and a crew of bird-people break through the bars and begin roaming the halls of the museum. The video ends with Miley returning to her nest.

It may not sound all that horrible, but in reality it is the raunchiest music video I have ever seen. Miley practically makes out with all the bird-people (both male and female), dances around yet another pole and decides that the perfect way to show guys they have no power of her is to dance around with other guys, show off her legs and have slutty line dances which most likely makes guys want her more.

Not only is it a raunchy video, but it's choreography is simply awful. The dancing makes you think Miley is having a seizure. For those who don't believe it, Miley actually has a pretty nice voice, which was simply ruined for this video. Why did she feel she had to mechanize her voice? That's for people that can't actually sing, like Brittney Spears. Apparently she believed that it would prove she's an adult. To me, it just lumps her together with other singer wanna-be's like Lady GaGa and Spears.

If she wanted to lose fans, she definitely achieved her goal. If she wanted to shock us, *major fail*.

Journalist, Jeremy Helliar wrote: "If Cyrus really wanted to shock us, she’d have left her clothes on and gone demure and classy. In this age of increasingly naked female singers, that would have been a true rarity indeed."

Before, I simply did not like Miley or how she chose to live her life. Now she has lost all my respect as a professional singer/actress. There is a way to grow up in the spotlight without becoming a lap dancer. Apparently Hollywood does not realize that.