Mortal Kombat | Teen Ink

Mortal Kombat MAG

By Anonymous

   If you fall into any one of these groups, you may like the movie Mortal Kombat.

1) You like really good special effects.

2) You're a fan of martial arts movies

3) You have just been released from the hospital after a full frontal lobotomy.

I am usually a fan of bad movies, and often like movies that everyone else hates. I'm talking Hudson Hawk here. However, this movie made me rethink my viewpoint on movies.

This movie is based on the violent video game, Mortal Kombat. The game has two sequels and hopefully, this movie won't. Let's start with the writing.

The movie is based on the premise that the more action there is, the less the audience will pay attention to the story. The entire film is based on fighting C fighting each other, fighting monsters, and fighting computer animated bad guys. The actors spend 90% of the movie doing flips and kicks and punching the stuffing out of their opponents.

The actors, all relatively unknown, do their best to try and save the movie. When I say do their best, they don't giggle at their lines. They even try and show they have individual personalities between fight scenes.

To summarize the movie, every generation has a tournament which is held in order to see if our world will be conquered by an extra-dimensional emperor. If the Emperor's champions win ten Kombats in a row, they get Earth. The year is 1995 and the bad guys have won nine. Rayden (played genuinely well by Christopher Lambert) gathers three martial artists on the side of good. What follows is an hour-long slug fest of very real and sometimes cartoonish violence.

If you care to see the outcome, go ahead. That's if you're into wasting a precious hour and a half of your life that you will never get back