The Missing Ninth | Teen Ink

The Missing Ninth

By amyaxa BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
amyaxa BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

I deeply agree with Sara Jarecke in her article, ̈The Missing Ninth.¨ Her point of view explains the destruction of life and humanity phones have brought. These tiny, under-estimated gadgets that slip right into your back pocket will take up one-ninth of your lifetime. Sara illustrates how lively and happy her friend, Elizabeth, used to be when she was in third grade; but after receiving a phone for her eighth birthday party, her present slowly sucked away all her time and Elizabeth claims to spend eleven hours a day on the compelling gadgets. Sara goes on to show how our society can ́t focus on other tasks when apps like Instagram or Snapchat is updating. 

I can completely relate and understand Sara because lots of my friends are constantly spending hours upon hours watching unimpactful Youtube videos, instead of socializing or creating memories. They often obsess over K-Pop idols they ́ll probably never meet and use hours to boost up the amount of followers they have. Even I go on my phone at least half an hour a day, so I always try to limit myself to an hour. It's scary how we spend so much time looking at things we ́ll never actually experience and taking a ninth of our life, which is roughly equal to ten years. Ten years?! Technology is taking over the world and we have to change.

I live in Brooklyn, NY.