They Want My Culture, But Not My History | Teen Ink

They Want My Culture, But Not My History

By Riri-chan SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Riri-chan SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled "They Want My Culture, But Not My History", written by Karmen Robinson, talks about black history/culture, racism, and nativism. Her writing left me feeling a true rainbow of emotions. I've been sitting at my desk, trying to describe the emotions I'm feeling, but I can’t. All I can say is – I know. I know how people just want to take your culture and make it their own because “It’s so in right now!” It’s worse when they don’t even know whose culture they’re stealing. After they’ve stolen your culture, they yell at you to go back to your country, and all you can think is, “This is the country I was born in.” The same people screaming at you because your skin is darker than theirs are the same people waving their flags around while staring at your flagless hands in disgust. “The place I have to proudly represent. Full of unfair justice, racism, discrimination.”, but you should be able to ignore that black shadow of truth and help them shine the big “Make America Great Again” light over it. Making America great again is going to be hard because it was never great in the first place.

PoeticMan GOLD said...
PoeticMan GOLD, Fort Worth, Texas

"It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

- Socrates

America has always been great because it was founded on great principles. There is not another nation on earth that gives as much religious/racial freedom on earth as does America. Even though we, like all other nations, have experienced tremendous flaws, we should not discredit all that makes this nation great along with it.

Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.
-Walt Whitman

This is very true...