All I Need Is a Friend | Teen Ink

All I Need Is a Friend MAG

By Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

on Nov. 8 at 9:27 pm
sarsmithh BRONZE, South Glens Falls, New York
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

everything happens for a reason

so good wow

on Oct. 25 at 8:37 pm
Ambiguous101 SILVER, Baxter, Minnesota
I can really relate to this poem. I have no friends other than the characters in my books. I get straight A's and people only talk to me for help with their homework, quizs, or tests. I really like how it speaks to me, as if it understands and knows what I've been going through. Along with other people. Great work!!!!!

_ITSJEMMY GOLD said...
on Sep. 21 at 11:36 am
_ITSJEMMY GOLD, Lagos, Other

IF YOU CANT LOVE ANYONE AT LEAST LOVE YOURSELF, YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE DONT LET ANYONE CHANGE THAT, YOU ARE LIKE THE STAR THAT SHINES AT ITS APPOINTED TIME

I understand how it feels to have no friend but yourself. it would take time to find a good one but when you do you would be happy and glad you waited. Trust me I've been there before

goneg1rl said...
on Aug. 18 at 2:17 am
goneg1rl, Danville, Virginia
amazing.

on Feb. 18 at 8:18 pm
kali73304 SILVER, Long Lane, Missouri
I really like this poem. I can relate, my room is also filled with books. I never really have fit in anywhere.

0102327 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 25 at 10:51 am
0102327 BRONZE, Richmond, Quebec
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Amazing poem!!!

AP2207 said...
AP2207, Moorsville, North Carolina
I agree with the message that the poem gave because it is relatable and shows the struggles that one can face.

kshap12534431, Huntersville, North Carolina
I find this poem easy to relate to because in school it is easy to think about what others think about you and not being able to fit in with the others.

ebolliger said...
ebolliger, Charlotte, North Carolina
I like this poem because I can relate to it - I read all summer long and usually don't fit in easily at school, even though I get all As. My room is filled with books, floor to ceiling; they don't fit on my bookshelves anymore. I've changed schools a few times as well and know how important friends are, so I also can relate to the title.

ebolliger said...
ebolliger, Charlotte, North Carolina

GH1250 said...
GH1250, Huntersville, North Carolina
I agree that all you need to better your life is a good friend who supports and understands your struggles and beliefs. I am sorry that people at school make fun of the way you look but I believe that you can find a friend.

GH1250 said...
GH1250, Huntersville, North Carolina

zstewartreffett, Charlotte, North Carolina
I really liked this poem because I think it is very relatable for teens in todays society and provides support for others struggling with feeling alone.

asriram said...
asriram, Concord, North Carolina
I like that this poem does not express rich people the way people look at them. It gives a different scope to some people.

ABarber0 said...
ABarber0, Charlotte, North Carolina
I like this poem and that it doesn't necessarily put the subject of the poem into a stereotype of the "stereotypical rich person."

ch_ said...
ch_, Charlotte, North Carolina
This was a really nice poem. I like how it could be relatable to many people.

LiamLingor said...
LiamLingor, Huntersville, North Carolina
I can relate to this poem as I have lots of books and I've gotten straight A's. I agree that having a friend is something that is necessary to have a good life.

EvelyneWrites PLATINUM, Arlington, Virginia
I too love books- four books a day is a lot! My record was a few years ago, hitting normally three on a school day. Do you have any recommendations of what to read?

Cdog383 BRONZE said...
Cdog383 BRONZE, Plano, Texas
for years now I've had one purpose; to be a metaphorical punching bag. i have always been made fun of because of what i like. i was bullied for years by kids who have done some despicable things. i have not been a victim of the despicable things but i have multiple friends who were. but now its time i flip this nightmare on its head and say goodbye to the living nightmare i called a life. i learned how to harness this pain and make it my strength, Iv'e been through it all and i learned how to use it in order to make others not feel the same pain i did.