calamitous | Teen Ink

calamitous

August 22, 2023
By kiaofthehollow BRONZE, Doha, Other
kiaofthehollow BRONZE, Doha, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

the tide rises, and i drop the little locket into the ocean.

little pieces of myself reside in the seashells scattered here. 

memory is a distant pleasure, but it lingers in the salt of the breeze. it lingers on my lips..

i peer into the ocean. 

my god have you ever seen such a calamitous depiction of history’s heartache?

those words, they are spoken in your voice and i want to reply to you now what i could not that day but i can’t i can’t i can’t. 

you can’t.

i wish i could flick open that locket.


the sand bears witness to the footprints of the past, now fading. whispers in the wind.

they say all footprints are different. i wonder where ours are.

the tide rises and recedes.

the sun sets the moon dawns the stars twinkle the horizon taunts -

perhaps i mourn the locket more viscerally than i mourn you.


shadows lengthen, daylight wanes.

the moon is my only companion. did you hear she controls the tides? you ought to be her friend too.

the night deepens, somehow it always does, and this time the water kisses my feet in longing. it wants to take me with it. i politely decline. 

the sun rises the moon vanishes the stars disappear the horizon breathes in -

and i am still here, wishing i could flick open that locket.


my god have you ever seen such a calamitous depiction of history’s heartache?

the tide rises, the tide falls. 

i have known nothing more calamitous than you.


The author's comments:

I'm Kia Ayesha Sinan, a teenage Maldivian writer residing in Switzerland. My debut poetry anthology, "Musings of a Young Girl," was published in the summer of 2022, and I've recently launched "Ambition," the first installment of an exciting duology. When I'm not passionately typing away or jotting down my thoughts, I'm indulging in my love for music, or engrossed in re-watching episodes of Criminal Minds. Often you'll find me immersed in the pages of a captivating book, accompanied by a comforting cup of tea. If you're interested in keeping up with my literary journey and personal updates, feel free to follow me on Instagram at @kia.ayesha.sinan.