If you were born before Marilyn Monroe you don't count | Teen Ink

If you were born before Marilyn Monroe you don't count

By reneerichichi BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana
reneerichichi BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana

"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution."- Emma Goldman

If you were born after Marilyn Monroe you don’t count

All Hanoi Janes are soon to be forgotten, being held at gunpoint by tortured American soldiers, promoting the false idealism of war crimes.

All the triggers point to yes on her conviction, but will the press take it? The Washington Post, The New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, they all wait at the edge of their seats, anticipating the arrival of the first photo, that will perfectly illuminate her taffy white skin. She will be canonized by sickly men’s typewriters for years.

The black and white picture deceives the human eye. Is her skin really that white or is the picture simply a comment on this great country’s ability to suck color out of the simplicity of a memory?

This perfectly justifiable photo, captured by a simple man with simple kids, but a complicated wife, in hopes to bring down this hollywood nothing by the name of Fonda, upsets bored housewives and angry salesmen, for it interrupts their viewing of the first living room war.

Who cares? I guess my careless attitude towards American culture is faulty enabled by my own isolationism within the baby boomer generation. You always did like your movies, and you will always be the Marylin to my Grace.

Love, Baby Jane.

This piece is a free verse poem that I have turned into a letter, from a son to a mother, commenting on the current social climate of 1969-1972.