Ideas on Emotion (An Extended Metaphor) | Teen Ink

Ideas on Emotion (An Extended Metaphor)

November 20, 2015
By jemter GOLD, Oakley, California
jemter GOLD, Oakley, California
14 articles 36 photos 33 comments

Feelings are comparable to plants. When happy, a beautiful flower bed blooms in your chest. Those flowers don't dissapear when you're upset. Maybe they close their petals, wilt slightly, but all they need is a bit of water, some fuel to restore them to their full beauty.

Anger ruts its ugly head as weeds do. They ruin flowers and must be dealt with entirely as soon as they are spotted to avoid further problems.

When you love someone, a tree grows. Even as flowers die and new ones take their place, that tree remains. It is unaffected by weeds. Its fruits are heavy with the pleasure that will come with a fruitful love. However, sometimes that tree will be problematic. Sometimes it will get so big that it ruins your garden. The roots can grow large and be seen among the flowers, and the garden will suffer. There is less room for happiness. This can be overlooked if the fruit is sweet enough, but it causes instability. If the tree grows sickly, what were once healthy branches become brittle, painful reminders. The fruit turns sour with guilt and hurt. Dead wood rots with sadness and regret. Mistletoe might overcome its frame, twisting resentment around the once fond branches. Many trees end this way.

Trying to supress your emotions never seems to end in the desired result. You can cut the plant but the roots continue to grow; it will preserve itself until it is fully dealt with, uprooted. Trying to overcome love- even sickly love- is more difficult. It can be compared with chopping down a tree, which is a timely effort. Even after successfuly riding yourself of most of the tree, the stump will remain, rotting in a cavity in your heart. Over time the wood will degrade and revert into soil, but this may take many years depending on how large the tree was. You may sleep before the tree becomes earth.