Society's Attitude Towards Atheism | Teen Ink

Society's Attitude Towards Atheism

By fibonaccimathgenius BRONZE, Birmingham, Michigan
fibonaccimathgenius BRONZE, Birmingham, Michigan

"I'm going to bed before you two come up with a worse idea to get us killed -- or worse, expelled." -- Hermione Granger, HP #1 <3 :]

Throughout my elementary years, all students were forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day. That sentence alone might give you an idea of where I’m going with this, given the controversy in the news lately. Anyway, I had never been to a church in my life. My parents had decided to raise me and my brothers non-religiously. We celebrated Christmas every year, but that was the extent of our religious affiliation, and I had no problem with it. I mindlessly regurgitated the Pledge every weekday morning at 9:00, and was blissfully unaware of the complications that surrounded it. As I got older, though, and entered middle school, I became aware of the different religions and how mine didn’t really fit in. I had never met anyone who approached religion like my family did and so when my peers would talk about church group or similar activities, I would just quietly blend in with the nearest wall and try to look like I had some inkling of what they were talking about. The more I learned about this foreign concept called religion, the more I thought about it, and the more I thought about it, the more I wondered how anyone could ever actually believe any of it. But, as I attended a predominantly Christian public school, I didn’t speak up for fear of being abandoned by my friends or bullied.

In my freshman year World History class, we were taught about all of the religions of the world and how they came to be. This was enlightening for me, because all I really knew were the major beliefs of each religion. Learning about how Mohammed supposedly had seizures and hallucinations in which parts of the Quran came to him really put religion in perspective for me. What would happen today if someone started having the same experience and claimed that God was talking to them? You know as well as I do that they would promptly be shut in a cushioned room in an asylum far from civilization. Yet people today still believe what Mohammed recited so many years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to target Muslims in any respect; I am merely using their religion as an example of how ludicrous these ideas are to me.

After taking this history course, I read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, wishing to learn more about the scientific backing behind atheism. Theistic religions just didn’t make sense to me – when I heard people talking about creationism with all of the evidence of evolution staring them in the face, I wanted to rip my hair out or punch something exceptionally hard. The God Delusion put everything straight for me. It confirmed my suspicions and decisively disproved a lot of common arguments that Christians make against atheists. My favorite quote from Richard Dawkins is probably “We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

Now, I don’t care who knows that I am an atheist. Many people resent me for it, or say that I offend them by not believing in God. My retort for that question is that I am offended by them believing in God. I have used this in more than one situation, and the person in question has countered the statement with a look of complete disbelief. Why do they think that it is okay for them to say something to me, but that it is not okay for me to flip the statement back at them? Ah, mysteries of society that I will undoubtedly never understand. My true friends are the ones that don’t care what beliefs I hold. Those who hold it against me are obviously not worth my efforts.

I think that society needs to realize that atheists are real people, too. As much as people nowadays think about not discriminating against Jewish people or Muslims, they do not think about the views of atheists. Why are public schoolchildren across the US forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning when it makes the reader swear that they are under God? Does the separation of church and state not go that far?

But do me a favor and think about religion and the factual evidence that is out there. Read Dawkins’ book. Ponder why you believe what you do. Is it because you’ve been told to believe it since you were very young? Or is it because it is truly what you believe? Don’t let yourself be blinded anymore. Open your eyes.

Thank you.

I read the article 'My Religion' and really felt that my views could be expressed as well. Atheists have a voice and we need to be heard!

ServantofGod said...
Let me ask you this: who ever put the thought in your mind that God doesn't exist?? That concerns me! In the Book of Psalms 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." You all secualrs have it so wrong! Plants, trees, animals, oceans were created by the Almighty LO.RD God. You want people hearing you?? No, that shouldn't be. You dwell in ignorance, so forth you shall stay in there. Seculars, you are the darkness while we Chris.itans are the light. Our light from Go.d in everlasting and eternal, nothing can stop us from sprending the truth! You need to stop lying to people! There is a Go.d and His name is JEHOVAH ADONI ELOHIM, The Go.d who heals, the Go.d who is merciful, the Go.d who is the GREAT I AM.

emrose SILVER said...
emrose SILVER, Rising Sun, Other
I love this! Its totally true. (Love your user name)

emrose SILVER said...
emrose SILVER, Rising Sun, Other
ok I understand where you are coming from but I think that the reason you posted this article isnt because you wanted to state your opinion but so that you could create waves. Same goes for when you put the Bible in Borders in the fiction section. This isnt about religion to you but about the controversey. I think all you really want to do is get a reaction from people. Im also sorry if someone who belived in something different than you hurt your feelings but coming at all the religions of the world except yours isnt going to solve anything. And yes atheism is a religion.

sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina

We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

i don't really think that it's too closed minded but the thing is having a relationship with God has never been about factual evidence, and i don't think it's supposed to be. It was a very good article though and it did make me think, which I guess was the point.

earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Good point about acceptance, although I didn't think the article was too closed-minded. I would've liked to see the face of the librarian who found a kid moving a bible into the fiction section, though!

Environmental features don't change decay rates. The particle interactions remain the same no matter what time period you're in. The E. coli bacteria have changed so much that it's debatable if they're even the same species any more. I won't even get into mammoths, dinosaurs, etc.

"Nuclear decay rates were much higher in the past"- the standard model of particle physics begs to differ, as it states that the environment doesn't affect the decay rate of an atom. As for the "micro-adaptations" which you supposedly don't believe in, the adaptations that occurred in the e. coli cultures resulted in a completely transformed digestive system (which converts different nutrients into energy than previous generations. Imagine going from digesting pork to tree bark). They've changed so much that people are debating if they're even the same species any more.

I won't even get into dinosaurs, mammoths, etc.

Tintinnabulation BRONZE, Glen Arm, Maryland

"Long enough have you dreamed contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every moment of your life."-Walt Whitman

Of course, micro evolution is just a hypothesis and is rather doubtful...just wanted to point out that some people believe it.

Now I wash the gum from your eyes,

But the radiocarbon dating system gives dates in the millions and billions because it doesn't account for the fact that nuclear decay rates were much higher in the past. And the E. coli experiment doesn't really convince me- I mean it's not like the bacteria evolved into a frog. I believe that organism can make micro-adaptations to their environment, but only after their kind. Even religious people, like Pope John Paul II believe some form of th theory- not the Darwinian evolution theory, but other forms, i.e. microevolution.

Nice article. It makes you think about the conflict between science (in which someone hypothesizes an idea and then does experiments to prove it) and religion (where someone has an idea and writes it down for future generations to believe). I've read some of Dawkins' work, although not The God Delusion, and must say that he would definitely cause some people to doubt their faith. 

The bible teaches creationism, making no mention of evolution. Richard Lenski did an experiment to prove evolution, where he cultivated e. coli bacteria and got proof of the cultures evolving (it takes too long to explain the details. Just google it). The bible says the earth was made in a week about six thousand years ago, radiocarbon dating sets the earth back a few billion years. I could go on.

sorry if this is posted again but this didn't post the first time and i think that it's important. This is very well written however to me it came across kind of like you were asking people to respect your beliefs but then at the end you may not realize it but you kind of asked them to reject theirs and that's not okay. It's conflicting ideas. Also i saw your post on the forum where u got kicked out of borders for moving bibles to the fiction section and you don't get someone to respect you by moving the most important book of their lives to a place where they don't think it should be. I would never do that to the book you mentioned in your piece. I'm just saying. I'm really sorry if someone religious has offended you but the best way to get respect is by showing love and forgiveness. I think we can both agree that fighting fire with fire only makes a bigger fire. Am I right?

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

the best comment I've read all day! We should judge each other by who we are, not religion (sex, race, nationality, looks, dressing style...)

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

I can completely see your position! I'm not religious either, but unlike yours the society I grew up in is mostly non-theistic (in soviet union tv watches you, remember? :P). I'm also often just annoyed by the way some religious people act, but I guess they only try to protect their views and they are entitled to.

Feldzy12 said...
Feldzy12, Glenarm, Maryland

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."-Gandhi

I like the fact that you say you should deserve some respect you know. I mean nobody should try to force you to convert and we as human beings are not perfect. We should be necessarily looking down upon atheists because people have conflicting views. With that said, my Dad takes me to Hunt Valley Church every other Sunday and I don't believe in it simply because my father decided to introduce it to us. I understand it and I feel that God has given me comfort in that there is something beyond this life, something eternal and great.

Now I wash the gum from your eyes,

People say that science and the real world contradict the Bible and Christianity...but it seems I can never get someone to tell me exactly what these things are. What is this evidence?

momo01 BRONZE said...
momo01 BRONZE, North Hollywood, California

"I don't want to live on the moon." --Ernie
"He lives the poetry that he cannot write. The others write the poetry that they dare not realize.” -- Oscar Wilde

When you say "all of the evidence of evolution staring them in the face" what evidence!? evolutipn is just a therory.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Why can't the religious people accept atheists, and atheists accept the religious people? Why do we have to prove that we're right?

I'm sorry you've been mistreated for being an atheist, though.

~Kahlil Gibran

I confess, I'm a Christian. But I think it's okay to believe whatever you want. I shake my head at similar mistreatment of atheists.

People must learn to accept each other instead of trying to prove that they're right. Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, and Atheists: why can't we get along?

ssssss BRONZE said...
ssssss BRONZE, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

If you love something, let it go, if it comes back to you it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was.

I will admit that if i wasn't raised the way i was i probably wouldn't be a christian. But i still love what i believe and it is very insulting to me when atheists think that all im going to do is blow off their ear with a bunch of "crap". i have a friend that's pretty much an atheist and i can't talk to her because when i do i "insult her" in some way and she argues what i have to say. She wants to come to church with me just to meet my crush but her parents won't let her, and one time her mom yelled at me because she thought i was trying to convert her. You wrote your article amazingly but i wish you would look past what you believe and consider what we have to say. I am not trying to offend anyone but I have considered the thoughts and feelings of atheists, and i wish atheists would do the same for us.