Society's Attitude Towards Atheism | Teen Ink

Society's Attitude Towards Atheism

By fibonaccimathgenius BRONZE, Birmingham, Michigan
fibonaccimathgenius BRONZE, Birmingham, Michigan

"I'm going to bed before you two come up with a worse idea to get us killed -- or worse, expelled." -- Hermione Granger, HP #1 <3 :]

Throughout my elementary years, all students were forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day. That sentence alone might give you an idea of where I’m going with this, given the controversy in the news lately. Anyway, I had never been to a church in my life. My parents had decided to raise me and my brothers non-religiously. We celebrated Christmas every year, but that was the extent of our religious affiliation, and I had no problem with it. I mindlessly regurgitated the Pledge every weekday morning at 9:00, and was blissfully unaware of the complications that surrounded it. As I got older, though, and entered middle school, I became aware of the different religions and how mine didn’t really fit in. I had never met anyone who approached religion like my family did and so when my peers would talk about church group or similar activities, I would just quietly blend in with the nearest wall and try to look like I had some inkling of what they were talking about. The more I learned about this foreign concept called religion, the more I thought about it, and the more I thought about it, the more I wondered how anyone could ever actually believe any of it. But, as I attended a predominantly Christian public school, I didn’t speak up for fear of being abandoned by my friends or bullied.

In my freshman year World History class, we were taught about all of the religions of the world and how they came to be. This was enlightening for me, because all I really knew were the major beliefs of each religion. Learning about how Mohammed supposedly had seizures and hallucinations in which parts of the Quran came to him really put religion in perspective for me. What would happen today if someone started having the same experience and claimed that God was talking to them? You know as well as I do that they would promptly be shut in a cushioned room in an asylum far from civilization. Yet people today still believe what Mohammed recited so many years ago. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to target Muslims in any respect; I am merely using their religion as an example of how ludicrous these ideas are to me.

After taking this history course, I read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, wishing to learn more about the scientific backing behind atheism. Theistic religions just didn’t make sense to me – when I heard people talking about creationism with all of the evidence of evolution staring them in the face, I wanted to rip my hair out or punch something exceptionally hard. The God Delusion put everything straight for me. It confirmed my suspicions and decisively disproved a lot of common arguments that Christians make against atheists. My favorite quote from Richard Dawkins is probably “We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

Now, I don’t care who knows that I am an atheist. Many people resent me for it, or say that I offend them by not believing in God. My retort for that question is that I am offended by them believing in God. I have used this in more than one situation, and the person in question has countered the statement with a look of complete disbelief. Why do they think that it is okay for them to say something to me, but that it is not okay for me to flip the statement back at them? Ah, mysteries of society that I will undoubtedly never understand. My true friends are the ones that don’t care what beliefs I hold. Those who hold it against me are obviously not worth my efforts.

I think that society needs to realize that atheists are real people, too. As much as people nowadays think about not discriminating against Jewish people or Muslims, they do not think about the views of atheists. Why are public schoolchildren across the US forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning when it makes the reader swear that they are under God? Does the separation of church and state not go that far?

But do me a favor and think about religion and the factual evidence that is out there. Read Dawkins’ book. Ponder why you believe what you do. Is it because you’ve been told to believe it since you were very young? Or is it because it is truly what you believe? Don’t let yourself be blinded anymore. Open your eyes.

Thank you.

I read the article 'My Religion' and really felt that my views could be expressed as well. Atheists have a voice and we need to be heard!

ServantofGod said...
Evolution is the biggest lie in all of humanity! What next, are you going to listen to what Lucifer tells you? If so, he is lying to you and you are accepting that lie as truth.

ServantofGod said...
Oh, Blues just to let you know I'm going to annoy you like how a brother can annoy a sibling. 'Cause to be honest, I don't like your opinion and it doesn't matter a bit. Seculars should not be heard because they lie. Do you know how a secular lies, when they open their mouth. lol

ServantofGod said...
Blues, how about you leave her alone! If a person reads the Bible it doesn't make them shallow, it makes them wiser. Promote the Holy bible! 

ServantofGod said...
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;" (Exodus 20:3-5)

ServantofGod said...
Peter denied Je.sus three times. How many times are you going to deny Go.d's existence?

ServentofGod said...
Look in the sricptures please. ♪ We're the ones who believe in the things unseen. This home, this body is the in-between (Crazy love). They say it sounds insane, we say that we've been changed by the power of crazy love. This world, it looks at us like we're ridiculous. Maybe it's all because of crazy love. ♪ WE ARE SAVED! =) I really feel bad for you Blues. Nothing of what you say can change my mind. There is a Go.d, and His name is JEHOVAH ADONI ELOHIM, the Go.d who is merciful, the Go.d who is loving, and the Go.d who is the GREAT I AM. ♪ Faith is the sight of true sight! I might even love my own enemy today. ♪ WE ARE SAVED BY OUR SAVIOR'S BLOOD OF MERCY!

ServentofGod said...
♪ We're the ones who believe in the things unseen. This home, this body is the in-between (Crazy love).
They say it sounds insane, we say that we've been changed by the power of crazy love. This world, it looks at us like we're ridiculous. Maybe it's all because of crazy love. ♪  WE ARE SAVED! =) I really feel bad for you Blues. Nothing of what you say can change my mind. There is a Go.d, and His name is JEHOVAH ADONI ELOHIM, the Go.d who is merciful, the Go.d who is loving, and the Go.d who is the GREAT I AM. ♪ Faith is the sight of true sight! I might even love my own enemy today. ♪ WE ARE SAVED BY OUR SAVIOR'S BLOOD OF MERCY!

blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

One of the simplest concepts of logical thought is the concept of the burden of proof. The one who makes the positive claim is responsible for providing sufficient evidence to support the claim. Theists have not done so, and yet they still ask for countless advantages and a high level of "respect". It is NOT atheists' responsibility to DISprove their claims. Especially those which are virtually disprovable, such as deism.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

You say this as an act of pretentiousness. You have failed to give proof of God. The Bible does not count as proof since it has not been able to provide accurate un-contradictory information, whether through science or history. The fact that you assert that God exists has no effect on the fact that you have no proof for it.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Maybe you should branch off from reading the bible and read "The Greatest Show On Earth: the evidence for evolution". There is an extremely large amount of evidence for it, and even if evolution were to be proven false at this very moment, that would have NO EFFECT on the fact that you have zero evidence for creationism.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Just because two events happen at similar times does not mean that one caused the other. What do you not understand about that simple concept? There IS such a thing as evidence to me, and yet you refuse to provide it. Instead you give me quotes from a book that has countless contradictions and can't  even get facts straight. It is you who is the fool here. Einstein was an atheist. So was stephen hawking. and so am i. what "abominable works" have we done? "Faith then evidence". Sorry, that's not how logic works. try again next time.

ServentofGod said...
fibonaccimathgenius, come from your high cloud and talk to me. You don't know what you are messing with! You have become foolish in thinking that secualrs should be heard. Let me ask you this: why do you lie to the general public? Why do you say there is no Go.d? You. Are. Foolish. "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." (Psalm 14:1) As a Chris.tian, I know from shadow of a doubt that Go.d exists. He is full of love, mercy, compassion, anger, jealous, wrathful, and vengeful. I warn you of your deeds. If you keep on denying that Go.d doesn't exist, you will pay with your own soul. I say this, because I care. Not for my own glory, but for Go.d's glory. I say this as an act of love.

ServentofGod said...
There is no such thing as evidence to you then. Let me warn you fo this then: "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." (Psalm 14:1) and "For our God is a consuming fire." (Hebrews 12:29). I would like it if people look for faith then evidence. Our mortal eyes are not what is of us, our faith is our true eyes. Take for example, I had a friend who was going through a tough time. Her friends (but not me) were abandoning her. Her best friend left her. She didn't have any strength to live, she was about to committ suicide. Certain friends and I prayed so hard to Go.d, He decided to answer my prayer. So some how He did something to my friend and now she is better. Does that answer your question about Go.d? 

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

It's actually the Shroud of TURIN, not Terent. And prove to me that the bible is an accurate source of information. I want EVIDENCE, not blind faith. Your argument doesnt make sense. "I read in a really old book that X leads to Y. Y exists, therefore, X must exist". Do you see how dumb that is?

ServantofGod said...
Look around you. I stated examples: the ocean, trees, animals, people, everything that we see in nature. You seculars really need to open your eyes from darkness to the light. Go.d in flesh (Jes.us) died for you and me. Yet you say there is no Go.d?? Here's another piece of proof, Noah's Ark in one of Turkey's mountains. Noah's Ark was mention in the Bible. The Shroud of Terent, Jes.us' image is on there. That is the proof. Stop seeing from your pyschical eyes, start relying on faith. See through faith, not from your mortal eyes. Your mortal eyes decieve you.

Lilliterra said...

If you don't beleive in God, why do you have such a problem being under Him? Also, there is NOT an abundance of evedence for evolution.  I wrote an article on creationism, search "giraffes" and it's the one on the first page with my name next to it.

"The God Delusion" is full of lies. Ugh.

And I beleive what I beleive because it makes sense. Not because my parents told me to. I have my OWN beleifs, thank you.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Christianity is a minority?!!! Read a book. Over 80 percent of people on Earth identify as Christians. I'd argue the reason that atheists write about persecution more than Christians is because Christians in general (in 2011) aren't really persecuted. Not in the United States.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Atheism is a religion the same way that bald is a hair color.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Evolution is just a theory? You wouldn't say that if you knew the definition of the word THEORY.

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Prove it. It should be easy, right? I'm waiting.