Standing Out, What Makes Me Different | Teen Ink

Standing Out, What Makes Me Different

By LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California
LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you learn to appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I walk through the doors of my high school as I watch hundreds of kids pass by. Millions of teenagers just like me nationwide attend school as well, so what makes me so special? What am I doing to stand out? I would hope the answer is obvious to those who know me. I smile every time I am recognized as the Christian girl, so innocent and outspoken. It is an accomplishment to know I do not have to tell someone how I stand because my actions are speaking for me. I attend the Bible study at my school, and Church regularly. I stand out from the crowd by saying no to the simplest things. My peers may say im “too innocent” because I choose not to cuss, “try” alcohol, or go too far with a boy. However, I know I am not a saint. I make mistakes, sometimes I make the wrong decisions, I get mad and frustrated and slip a few words I should not have, but that is what makes me human. No one is perfect, that is exactly why I turn to God to save me of my sins.
What makes Christianity different from so many other religions? Christianity is the only religion that teaches you cannot earn your way to heaven. The Bible states, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one can get to the Father except through Me (John 14:6).” Many believe you can get to heaven simply from your good works. Well consider this, the Bible says everyone will face Him after death to be judged (2 Corinthians 5:10), if you were standing before God how would you prove you deserve to be in heaven? Let us say He told you to get into heaven you needed 1,000 points. You might say, “Well I did help my mom clean the kitchen once without her telling me to.” However, keep in mind that God is omniscient, which means He is all knowing. In response He might say, “Alright there’s one, but you also hit your brother the same day.” Really, there is no way that you can end up getting those points because everyone has many more negative thoughts and actions than they do good ones. That is why Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again. God sent Him to give His life to pay the debt of our sins.
There may be those who do not believe in God in general. How do you explain the universe? If you argue with the big bang theory, I ask what made those molecules that collided? The Bible says, “Since what may be known about God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–His eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse (Romans 1:19-20).”
Christianity is more than a religion; it is a relationship with God through prayer, and reading His word, the Bible; it is not a label, it is a lifestyle. For so many who question the meaning of life, it is to glorify God in what we do, to give to Him what he gave to us (life). Earth is only temporary; I do believe there is an afterlife because the Bible tells us so (2 Corinthians 5:10). Everyone will have life after death, the question is where you will spend it, heaven, or hell, there is no in-between. We are on earth now because God has given us a choice to follow Him or not. You cannot force love, so He gives us the option to surrender to Him or surrender to sin, the many temptations we face every day.
The bell rings, marking the end of another day. I walk through the crowd my head held high, my face glowing with joy as if I am the light shining. Heads turn and people ask, “What does that girl have that makes her different? How does she smile, when so many things go wrong?”

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

je.sus_saves: 

He was a messenger and prophet from God, yes. :) So was Muhammad (pbuh). Muhammad (pbuh) was the final prophet; he was not the "foremost". Each prophet was important to his nation. :)

Um. Haha, hard question.

"There is no god but God."

That is the centre of our religion, the basis of all truth. :)

jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

Sorry about the confusion.... I was trying to figure out which one... so you don't believe jesus was the son of God, but he was a prophet? NAd then Muhammad is the "final and formost" prophet of Allah?

One more question. If you scould sum your entire religon in one sentence what sentence would it be?

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

je.sus_saves: 

Haha, we're called "Muslims". Calling us "The Islamic people" is like me calling you guys "The Christ people". :)

But. Yeah. We believe Prophet Jesus (pbuh) was a messenger and servant of God, sent with signs and miracles to the Children of Israel. He did not die on the cross, but rather, God raised him to Heaven. And he'll return some day. :)

inkblot13 PLATINUM, Auburn, New York

"If I knew where poems came from, I'd go there"

- Michael Langley, 'Staying Alive'

YES!! It's so awesome to see an article on here saying positive things about Christianity :D And, lol, I totally understand what you mean by the 'innocent one'. I'm considered the innocent one even with all of my other 'innocent' friends! Haha, great job :)

jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

-Sadie P. Jackson

o are responsible for your thought. If somehtign bad just "slips" into your mind, well its okay, we are human. But when we chase those thoughts around deliberalty we are sining. I agree wiht Leannarose. 

Jesus rocks by the way.

And Destinee, could you please explain what you beleive to me? I am curious about what the islamic people beleive.

dolphin13 BRONZE, North St. Paul, Minnesota
She wasn't saying she was better. She was saying that she has a special hope that other people don't have. This doesn't make her better, only special. Other people can have this hope and be special like her if they would just believe.

YES!!!!!!! It's great to hear a Christian voice speaking out. I agree with everything you say here. I go to a Christian school so the majority of the school is Christian, but I still hope my light is shining, especially when I am not in school. Way to let your light shine in all you do!

crazychick SILVER, Norwich, Connecticut

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted

I envy your honesty, your not a freak just beautiful, its nice to see more teens proud of their religion

Lilliterra said...

It's not a "bad thought" unless you mean it.

Like what if you accidentally hit someone? The action is there, but not the intention. On the other hand, what if you meant to hit someone, but were prevented? God judges the heart.

R5andParamore BRONZE, Manalapan, New Jersey
Yup. You are right again, Leanna Rose. And You too, Toxic Monkey.

THANKYOU! I totally agree

Great job! It's nice to see more teens who don't think religion is dull.

sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity.

I really enjoyed this and I totally agree on all points! Great great job!

ShyWriting42 BRONZE, Mesquite, Texas

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure...We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God."

Loved it! An amazing relationship with God! 

MiaMonster BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico

"I often wonder if life is easier for other people, or they're just better at faking it." -Unknown

i liked this article, it was well written. but it made it sound like you were putting yourself above others because of what you supposedly believe in, though everyone no matter what religion or ethnicity are the same. it sounded a little arrogant and slightly ignorant considering how bad the real world is. im not trying to judge your beliefs im just saying.  

LexiB SILVER said...
LexiB SILVER, Tallassee, Alabama

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged. For the Lord your God will be with you where ever you go."

Joshua 1:9

Wow! Great job! This article is a complete turnaround from the athesit articles that were popular yesterday. Will you check out some of my work?

hopesmiley said...

This is nicely written. Keep writing for the Lord and this inspires me a bit so well done.

Lil_bear BRONZE, Murrieta, California

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."
-C. S. Lewis

First of all, I love this article LeannaRose. It just makes me smile because, as a Christian, I relate to you completely. ;) About the controlling your thoughts subject, though, I believe that there's no way to control all the thoughts that come into your mind (that's the devil's fault), but I also believe that it's not considered a sin when this happens...because you have the ability to block it out (like Destinee said). God sees the heart and knows each heart, so if something comes into your mind that you just couldn't help, by asking God to forget it he'll help you. It's all about your true intentions...you have the choice to feed into your own random thoughts or not.

Chinadoll BRONZE, Dallas, Texas

Amazing! I love the way you wrote this! This is so true!! Not many people are like this and have the courage to say it in words. I envy you with this. Never change! Good Job!

Also could you look at some of my work? I think we are similiar with some stuff . Thanks!

I disagree. 1 Corinthians 10:13 . . .¨But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for you to be able to endure it.¨