You're You, So Be You | Teen Ink

You're You, So Be You

By i_Aref BRONZE, Alexandria, Other
i_Aref BRONZE, Alexandria, Other

Everyday people worry about their stature toward others and are worried about what others may think about them. It's ironic how we change our personalities to please others even though doing so makes you less satisfied with your own personality. Don't be someone you're not. Especially if it means ruining your own opinion of your character. If you like to nerd out and watch cartoons all day, so be it. If you like to go wild day and night, again, so be it. It's not a good idea to sacrifice your own satisfaction about who you are just to appear more likeable to specific audiences. If you're faced with the decision of being unhappy as yourself but more popular, or just being proud of who you are if it means holding on to that spec of popularity you may or may not have with some people, go with the latter. If you'd like to put it simply, If you're not you, you're not happy. What I mean to refer to by the word "happy" is, being sure of who you are rather than hiding behind a fake persona all the time. Some people may say they "don't like who they are" or "don't have any definitive personality", although I believe that it is important to remember that  there is no one who is incapable of being open to others. You just need to find the right person to be sincere with. People who are "popular" are just generally recognized by having a strong personality, that does NOT mean that they are more likeable than others, but rather that they understand that the idea of being popular is no different than being yourself.