The Lifesaver | Teen Ink

The Lifesaver

December 22, 2013
By ShapingOurFuture GOLD, Turlock, California
ShapingOurFuture GOLD, Turlock, California
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If there existed a small precautionary measure that had the potential to save your life, would you take it? At first glance, most teenagers would probably answer that with a resounding "Yes!" However, when applied to the context of wearing a helmet when bicycling, many teenagers' actions unfortunately demonstrate otherwise.

According to a 2011 Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance report, 87.5% of teenage respondents who had ridden bikes in the year leading up to the survey rarely or never wore helmets. Moreover, the report found that, as individuals progress from their freshmen to senior year of high school, they become less likely to wear a helmet.

This truth is incredibly unfortunate. After all, the boon of the helmet is derived quite simply from its manner of function. If an individual not wearing a helmet falls off a bike and hits his or her head on the ground, his or her brain could smash into the skull, causing swelling. However, a helmet provides a cushion for the head and thus reduces the impact on the brain in the event of a fall. If the image of a torn, bruised brain isn't enough to inspire you to wear a helmet when biking, it's virtually nonexistent what would be.

Of course, it would be too parochial to dismiss any lingering doubts without some pointed arguments. One such doubt relates to cost. With the dismal state of the economy, even the mere thought of pulling out the pocketbook for practically anything is cringeworthy. However Safe Kids USA, a branch of a global organization dedicated to spreading awareness about unintentional childhood injury, calculates that $30 in medical costs are spared for every dollar spent on a helmet. Clearly, although there is an understandable financial burden that can come with the purchase of a proper helmet, in the long-run that purchase could be the crucial element to your safety.

Another lingering doubt stems from a helmet’s supposed encumbrance appearance-wise. It is sadly not uncommon for teenagers to characterize a helmet as “uncool,” a pesky accessory detracting from their fashion look. Perhaps it has something to do with the simple fact that a helmet is safety device, so there is supposedly a perceived weakness in making appropriate use of it. However, the fallacy of this thought is simply incredible. After all, there is nothing that demonstrates more maturity than taking advantage of a device that could save your life.

When the facts are broken down in black and white, it is clear that there really is no outstanding excuse to skip the helmet on your next bike ride. There truly is much truth to be found in the aphorism that it is better to be safe than sorry, no matter how cliché it may sound. A helmet may seem to violate the tacit code of teenage coolness and may initially seem like an added financial burden, but rest assured, it could be a lifesaver. Keep that in mind the next time you are confronted with the crucial question of whether to wear a helmet or not.