Fight Terrorists, Not Muslims | Teen Ink

Fight Terrorists, Not Muslims

By itallcalypso93 BRONZE, Wylie, Texas
itallcalypso93 BRONZE, Wylie, Texas

"If you find something you want, you fight for it. If it's something you need, you'd die for it. If you're not willing to do what it takes, you're not allowed to whine about it. End of story and welcome to life."

A war on terrorism does not mean a war on Islam. As a result of the attack on the Twin Towers on September 11, 2001, many Americans have come to the conclusion that all Muslims are violent and all want to kill Americans. Moderate Islamists should be allowed the same rights as any other American citizen while living in America

.The 'Ground Zero Mosque' has caused an obscene amount of controversy in the heart in many American citizens. “…the controversy about the proposed project, only two blocks from the scene of the 2001 attack on the Twin Towers, isn't dead. In fact, the outcome appears to be headed in favor of what the project's backers have always wanted." (McManus) All of the controversy centers on nothing more than the American refusal to forgive and accept Islam. The only reason the proposed Islamic community center is getting so much attention is because the story is about Muslims and in the approximate area of Ground Zero and everyone has a different view on how to handle the situation

There are many different ideas on what to do about the proposed 'Ground Zero Mosque'. Some might consider it insensitive to build a mosque that close to Ground Zero, because it could "give Islamists a victory."(Jerry and Raymond) Building the mosque at "the site of a mass murder made in the name of Islam," (Jerry and Raymond) could be considered inappropriate as it serves as a reminder to the families of those who were lost on September 11, 2001. While Americans mourn the loss of so many people, that should not prevent the tolerance of other religions and their right to worship where they please, as long as they’re doing so peacefully. The Mosque won't even be in the middle of the Ground Zero ruins, it will be around the block and out of sight. "The reality is that the center is not being built on the site of the World Trade Center, nor even across the street. It's several blocks away. The issue became newsworthy only because it was in the general proximity of Ground Zero and involved Muslims." (Jerry and Raymond). The community center is so far away that it won't even be visible from the Ground Zero site. The center is set off of main transit roads so one would have to go out of their way to be offended. Americans have come up with a plethora of ideas on where to place the center and each idea is based off of personal opinion, whether they agree with the 'Mosque at Ground Zero' or are opposed to it, but they must be tolerant and accepting of other religions.

Christianity, which serves as a base for American government calls for tolerance of others, whether it be political or religious. The increased tolerance for religions other than Islam in the United States should translate to an increased acceptance of Islam as well. President Barack Obama said “‘Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into the universal, rather than religion-specific values.’”. (Wallis) The founding fathers of came to America to avoid religious persecution and the oppression of the King of England. Their government was based on Christian values because those were their beliefs. The fundamental ideas of democracy are founded on an idea of acceptance and tolerance. "As a Roman Catholic, a New Yorker, and a U.S. citizen, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as I do. That includes the right to build a community center and a place of worship on private property in lower Manhattan." (Jerry and Raymond) If Americans grant other religions (such as the Catholics) the right to worship where they wish then the same acceptance and tolerance should be extended to the Muslim community, lest America become a nation of hypocrites. The Bill of Rights guarantees each American the right to Freedom of Religion. This right is granted to all Americans, not Americans excluding Muslims and the religion as a whole should not be judged by the actions of a small group.

It’s very wrong to generalize an entire religion based on the actions of a small group of extremists. America cannot condemn an entire religion and all of its followers due to a few extremists. The country would do well to learn to distinguish Moderate Islamists from the radical fringes. “The time has come to stand up to the opportunists, the media figures, the religious leaders and politicians who demonize the Muslims and bash Islam, exploiting the fears of their fellow citizens for their own purposes.'" (Macfarquhar) Americans have painted all Muslims in a bad light, grouping the extremists with the moderate followers. The hasty generalization has caused a strong prejudice to anyone who even looks Muslim."…A person in Kentucky denounced the traditional short wood stick some Muslims use to clean their teeth, saying 'they are really sharpening up their teeth because they are planning to eat you, yes they are.’”(Macfarquhar)The stereotypes about Muslims are dramatized in the media, portraying all Muslims to be violent terrorists that want nothing more than to see Americans die which incredibly unfair and intolerant.

Americans should extend equal rights to Islamists living in America as they would any other religion. One should fear for the future of this nation if the citizens are to continue with this trend. The frequent mistreatment of Muslims and racial stereotypes is not what the founding fathers had in mind when they created America. If Christians and Catholics, Jews and Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons and mystics can live together, they should all be able to accept the Muslims.

This started out as a research essay for my A.P. English class and it turned into so much more.

Works Cited
Macfarquhar, Neil. "Abandon stereotypes, Muslims in America say." New York Times 4 Sept. 2007: A12(L). Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 15 Nov. 2010.
Wallis, Jim. "A Christian mistake." Sojourners Magazine June 2009: 5+. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 16 Nov. 2010.
D., Jerry, and Marylee Raymond. "From uscatholic.org." U.S. Catholic Oct. 2010: 5. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Nov. 2010.

Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

I skipped to the very end and read, "Americans should extend equal rights to I.slamists living in America as they would any other religion."

First of all, you might want to google the term "I.slamist". I.slamism is the fundamental idealogy of the M.uslim religion. I.slamists are the ones who support the genocidal regimes H.amas and H.ezbollah and call for the deaths of non-Muslims. I.slamism is NOT mainstream I.slam. I would recommend that you rethink that term, as I'm sure you are simply mistaken in its use.