Capital Punishment: A Sad Thing | Teen Ink

Capital Punishment: A Sad Thing

By Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Death is certainly a curious thing. It is often longed for by those who are suffering but avoided at all costs by those who have so much to live for. Some claim to know what it leads to, while others seem to accept its absolute mystery. Death is bestowed, with apparent grace, upon those in pain but forced with terrible wrath upon other people.

Because death is such a complex thing, we have to question the act of capital punishment. The theory behind it is the ‘justice’ that whoever commits a terrible crime will in turn have their life taken. This is ‘an eye for an eye,’ one of the most flawed sayings I can think of.

Murder is, undoubtedly, wrong. The crime is not, I think, in the death that is caused but the pain that is inflicted and the life that is being prevented. Whoever would take someone’s life or rape a person goes beyond making a simple mistake; that is clear. But, it is also clear that everybody commits wrongdoings. Some commit them on a much larger scale than others, but they sin in such a way because they are human. Humans sin. On the flip side, every criminal has something good in them, because they are human. But their mind is twisted in such a way and their heart is filled with just enough darkness that to hurt other people seems okay. Maybe they had a sad life and were done wrong, so they ended up this way. Think of them as having ill hearts and minds.

It is already known that murder and rape are terrible things. When I dwell on them, I am sorry that anyone would stoop low enough to be involved with them. They hurt the victim and their family and friends unimaginably. But killing them does not reverse it. It does not make everything right. It is merely adding to the wrongdoing and fighting hate with hate.

Capital punishment is the extreme act of striking back and is by no means justice. When a criminal commits a severe crime, I think he should just lose his right to freedom. In other words, a long sentence of imprisonment. Mostly, this is for the protection of others. But this sentence does not mean that he is condemned to a state that he can’t be forgiven. If society can’t learn to forgive, we can’t move forward. Another death will not solve the conflict.

I think capital punishment is one of society’s deepest mistakes. I hope that it will learn that it will not fix the wrongdoing and all states will ban it. And if the government thinks that it is worth it to take a human life because doing otherwise is too expensive, that is very sad. If they want to exchange lives for dollars, I have no hope for the government.

Best of wishes to the criminals, that they may feel sorry for what they did. And may they have a chance to live so that they me feel this remorse and turn their lives around.

I hope I don't offend anybody with this article. I confess that I have never known any murderers or murder victims. But I'm not sure whether being unbiased makes me ignorant or enlightened.

ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
@Aderes47 I do not think that murdering a person who has committed r@pe is acceptable. We are all human as previously said and we sin. I think a life sentence is more than enough and whether or not the criminal is forgiven for his crimes is the sole opinion of those closest to the victim. If those people can think well enough of him and see it into their hearts to forgive them then they have at least that much and if not they did not in slightest deserve forgiveness.

@Thesilentraven
First I must commend you on this particular piece. While I have never gave this topic much thought until now you have me completely convinced. So much so, that I would say even if I had been on the other end of this argument and strongly opposed to this idea, I would think very highly of you and use your view point often when coming to my own conclusions, and I must say I have the utmost respect for you and your works. As for this, "As for people having good in them, I think that one indication that Hitler and Hussein had good in them is that they thought they were doing right." I never thought of it that way, and now that I see it I completely agree, although I would've agreed beforehand anyway. There is a little light and dark in EVERYONE no one is completely evil. I find I favor your writing style as opposed to my own and I must say when I read the last lines of your "Author's comments" I found you a bit humorous, and full of wit, and extremely intelligent. I must say I can't think of a person I've read yet that could possibly do better. Oh! And I have never been opposed to critique either (though I hate when my mother nags) so it seems mutuality between you and I, is very befitting.

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

savetheplanet: 

So the problem is "appealing", not capital punishment. 

Also, I'm not sure Iraqis' notions of liberty are quite the same as Americans'. Different culture.

And I would say it's easy to judge, but if you're under economic oppression and can't feed your family, welll...desperate times call for desperate measures. 

Also, everyone knows that the Gulf War was triggered by a sham. So really, America shouldn't be pointing fingers. :)

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

(Only just got your reply. TI sure sucks sometimes.)

I understand what you're saying, and while I do think blood-money (or prison) and forgiveness are a greater option if the family chooses to do so, it is the job of punishments to act as deterrents along with carrying out justice. I find capital punishment a far greater deterrent than prison with the chance of parole (or if you're in Canada, even being let out!). 

So, no, it would not be a "crime" to kill someone out of justice. Just like it's not a crime to kill someone in self-defence. Murder and killing someone are two different things. :) The purpose of capital punishment isn't to undo the crime, but to punish the criminal, satiate the natural anger that victims' family members probably feel, and provide a deterrent for future criminals. 

savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Sorry for the double posting I don't know why it did that.

Nope, more expensive to kill them.  That's from mulitple sources too.  The problem is that you can almost infinitely appeal a death sentence and so the cost of lawyers keeps increasing for the state.  Not so much for a life sentence.

~Kahlil Gibran

Really? So I was wrong about that? I had thought that because I read a (very biased) article about capital punishment in which an annoyingly conservative Teeninker had said that "it costs so much to keep those idiots alive!" Part of the reason I wrote the piece.

Destinee:

I don't know who said this quote, I think it was Ben Franklin but here it goes, "Those who would give up liberty to purchase safety deserve neither."  So I don't care if you're Chairman Mao or Kim Jong-Il or some other dictator who gave his country great economic growth, it's not worth it.

Thesilentraven:

I completely agree, capital punishment does nothing but make the problem worse.  And actually as you said in your article that the government keeps it because it's cheaper, that's actually not true.  It's more expensive to execute someone that it is to imprison them for life.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I 100% agree.

My heart doesn't have an opinion on this one, probably because it's an issue that I'm not very passionate about.

~Kahlil Gibran

That movie was simply heartbreaking! I never read Stephen King's novel, on which the movie is based, but it was a beautiful story.

If your opinion keeps changing, I suggest you follow what your heart says. Always works for me. :)

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

OK, I agree with that. Actually, I think capital punishment is horrible. I remember I saw the movie       The Green Mile about that, very sad. Have you seen it, with Tom Hanks? I don't know, my opinion keeps flip-flopping on this one.

~Kahlil Gibran

Taking the lives of prisoners out of paranoia of their escape would be allowing fear to make countries immoral, which has happened for too long already. Prisons are, as far as I'm aware, fairly secure; breakouts are VERY rare.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

Actually, I just changed my opinion. I kinda agree with capital punishment because what happens if the guy escapes?

~Kahlil Gibran

Ah yes, a wonderful quote which I have heard many times before...

Just curious, is there a way in which you disagree with me.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

In Islam, we have a quote "Killing one person is like killing huamnity".

Also, when a murder is committed, family members decide the murderer's fate. But mercy is much better.

So, in a way, I agree with you.

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Henry Drummond

I agree with this. In Islam, we have a quote

"Killing one person is like killing humanity. "

In Islam, when a murder is committed, the family member decide the murderer's fate. But mercy is much better.

But In Islam, when a rape or molestation is committed, they are killed. I agree with this because oftentimes the victims are so horrified. They should never have the chance to see them again.

So in a way, I agree with you on murder. But not rape.

~Kahlil Gibran

Remorse, I now realize, is improbable; except for regretting the prison sentence or the death penalty.

A quote, perhaps, for you: "As if one crime of such nature, done by a single man, acting individually, can be expiated by a similar crime done by all men, acting collectively." In other words, the act of capital punishment does nothing to reduce the crime. In my personal belief, it is the state's duty to keep others safe from the wrongdoer and God's place to work out the rest.

~Kahlil Gibran

My, my, it has been a year since I wrote this article. My beliefs have stayed the same, yet I do think I would write it differently now, probably with a little less gaps in the logic.

~Kahlil Gibran

Ah, I haven't responded to you in eight months! How horrible of me!

Anyway, thanks for your complete agreement!

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Sorry, I have to butt in. Although I'm in no way Hussein's supporter, the things he did for his country are undeniable. Iraq was soaring under his rule. 

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Very lucid writing, good job. :) 

I disagree with you, however. Forgiveness is great, but don't forget that punishment is also a deterrent.

As for turning their lives around, I don't think a life sentence really gives you the opportunity to do that. And, in my humble opinion, if they can't feel remorse in the 2+ years that it takes for them to be sentenced to death (for trials often take that long), then they are in severe need of a wake up call.

I do think families should be able to forgive the victim though. Not sure how I would implement it in the system, but perhaps a default death unless the family forgives sort of a thing? Hmm...