The Gift Of Life | Teen Ink

The Gift Of Life

By CellarDoor SILVER, Riverside, California
CellarDoor SILVER, Riverside, California

After just reading a fanfiction in which two main characters dealt with the trials and joys of giving life, it led me to thinking..
There are so many things we take for granted in this world, so many things unaccounted for(And I am great example of this, I appreciate NOTHING). Life has its good points and its bad points, but it keeps on going. And only the greatest forces in the world are like that; love, life, and death. But this is not what I mean to write about. No, I mean to write about something that is so much more.. prevalent in my thoughts. The gift of life. How many of you have ever been thankful, just to know that are capable of reproducing? I know it may make some of you squirm or cringe, but think about it. Imagine if one day, you were told you would never be able to have a child of your own. A child of your own blood. To me, that would be a nightmare. Ever since I was small the thought of being a mother was tightly fixed in the wires in my mind. I always wanted someone to nurture and care for; someone who was the perfect blend of me and the one I love with my whole heart, my partner in life. This dream, this achievable fantasy still remains firm in my mind after all these years. It was not until a few months ago I thought deeper on this. We were watching a video about the holocaust, and the specific topic was the German doctors. They took delight in experimenting on the people, using new medicines, surgery techniques, and sterilization on the women. Sterilization is what haunted me the most. Imagine having that un thought of right to procreate stripped from you, in the hands of a murderer. If I had that taken away from me, I don’t know how I’d react. I would go into shock, most likely. I’m sure some of you are thinking, “It’s just a kid, you can adopt!” I am not saying adoption is not good -it is wonderful- and it gives children an opportunity to have a life and family that they would have never known, but having a child of your own blood also creates a special bond. We as people are capable of giving life and capable of taking it, and both of these are rights that we do not deserve… but we have them. So -having these abilities instilled in us- all I wish is that humanity would use both in a wise manner. No matter what you believe, taking life recklessly is cruel and giving it without being able to provide is too. Think before you act.

Really I see it as a rant, but it's a bit more than that. I put a little piece of me into that...so it is art. Poor art, but art.