Euthanization | Teen Ink

Euthanization

March 4, 2024
By cadenceshurtz BRONZE, Ogden, Utah
cadenceshurtz BRONZE, Ogden, Utah
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I stand very solidly against euthanization. I don’t understand how anyone could think it’s acceptable to allow doctors to euthanize people, of any age, especially without the knowledge of the patient! The people who go to the doctors and hospitals go to seek help, and they are putting trust in those working in medical facilities! It is despicable to allow those people to believe they are receiving help, when they are just walking into a death sentence. As much as people don’t want to believe it, murder is murder. Despite anything they can say to try and refute that. And money is worthless compared to the value of anything living! The importance and cruciality of any life far exceeds the worth of money. And I boldly say to anyone in support of euthanization, put yourselves in their shoes. Think about how it would feel if it was you or your loved ones, who didn’t even feel safe to ask for their needs to be met. I would definitely take that to heart. Because if euthanization is made legal, nobody will be safe. Not even those who were in favor. 


As far as the concept of euthanization at the request of patients, I still stand solidly against. Although some don’t agree, euthanization at the request of patients is suicide. There’s no way around this fact. The only difference is staking the ‘physical taking’ of the life on the doctors. It’s still suicide though. If someone requests euthanization, it is still them taking their own lives. Some that stand for suicide might state, that it’s ‘their lives’ to take, and they get to decide. Though I’d say, is it your life? Who gave you your life? You didn’t give it to yourself. Nobody has the right to take anyone's life! Not even your own. That’s not to mention it’s not only you that’s affected. And if you believe in an eternity after death, that’s another thing to consider. Also, by requesting euthanization by a doctor, they are also forcing the doctors against euthanization into a corner. I not only stand against all forms of euthanization, but I am also solidly for suicide prevention. My point is that no matter what people say to try and  get around it, it all points back to this form of euthanization, really being an act of suicide.


Although I stand against euthanization, that doesn’t mean I can’t understand other perspectives and opinions on euthanization. I believe that even when we don’t agree with something, we should hear it out, and take it into consideration. I have listened to other opinions on euthanization, and considered them. And even put much effort into understanding different perspectives. Though it is important to remember, understanding someone else's views and opinions on things, doesn’t necessarily mean agreeing with them. And that goes both ways. I understand that the government needs more money. And that they are trying to help the community by increasing the amount of money. And that one way to have more money is to decrease the amount of people using it. However I don’t understand why the first thing that comes to mind is people's lives.

I know there are other options and things that can be done to help with the money conflict, that would be far better and more reasonable than euthanization. Other things people can do to help our community. Being completely honest, I think a lot more people would be willing to help our community when simply asked and encouraged rather than forced. Although there are a lot of selfish people in this world, there are people who are willing to help our community. There are other ways. Such as, local fundraising concerts, to help raise money to donate to different areas of our community. I have performed in one of these fundraising concerts. The aca-con concert of 2023 in Syracuse Utah. And I think we need more of them. I was very surprised and impressed with how many people came to donate money to help our community. Another way to help save money for our community is to have more online jobs. That way elders, and younger teens, (those not old enough, or too old to have a public job) still have a way to work, by using their talent to help. I think there are a lot of people who just can’t work publicly, that really would like too, and would be more than happy to help serve our community.


Some of this is proven fact in reality. Some of this is opinion. After reading this, you know what I’m for in this concept. You know what I’m against. You know how I feel and what I believe about euthanization. I am solidly against it. I think it’s murder, and that murder is wrong. Although I also understand, and can relate to the feeling of not having enough money. I have been so used to not really needing much money as a child. Now I am almost 16 and about to get my first driver's license, first food handlers permit, first job, first car, and dealing with insurance for the first time. And I’m in a serious tailspin trying to find a way to pay for it all. Yet, I would give everything I have up if I could permanently illegalize euthanization, to ensure the longest possible lifetime for all people. I only want the best for all people. I have deeply taken into consideration other opinions. And although I may not agree, I acknowledge it, and I understand their perspective. I implore all people to please read this. Consider it. And take the things you say for and against euthanization, and anything else, extremely seriously. And always put yourself in the shoes of anyone and everyone's lives that could be affected.


The author's comments:

Generally I just write poetry on here, but I also know how important it is to write argumentative and opinion essays. Although I also think it's important when writing opinion or argumentative essays to make sure that you consider other opinions as well, and try to understand their perspectives. I hope this reaches out to many people, and helps them to reconsider where they stand.