Major Disconnect in Society | Teen Ink

Major Disconnect in Society

The use of social media needs to be reduced; it is causing a major disconnect in society today. The increase in social media has been causing younger generations to separate and become disconnected from the real world. Nowadays kids care more about how many followers they have, and whether or not someone liked their newest post. Rather than talking to their friends in person or how someone is doing. Social media is causing people to get obsessive over the smallest things that other generations never would have thought of and is creating more insecurities than ever. Causing people to get down when someone isn't replying to them or getting overjoyed when someone replies fast. Because of social media, younger generations only care about what is on social media and are careless about what is going on in the real world. 

One of the most common issues with social media that has emerged is the increase in depression it is causing. Posting on social media is giving anyone an opportunity to judge creating insecurities for younger and younger kids. Meanwhile, they see edited photos from influencers and wonder why they can't look like that. As usage of social media increases the feeling of loneliness and isolation increases as well. Teens now have the ability to see what their friends are doing without them creating FOMO (fear of missing out). With the fear of missing out also comes an increase in use of your phone, checking every few minutes to see and update what they are doing. Another factor that is causing an increase in depression is cyberbullying. Social media has created a hot spot for cyberbullying, and the ability to spread lies, rumors, and hate for everyone to see.

There are some pros to social media, it gives the ability to talk to family and friends who you don't live near, raise awareness for good causes, and is a way to share creativity or talents with a wide group of people. For example social media is often used to spread awareness and raise money for people in the community. Bringing people together over a common cause and to support someone who they may not know. One place that is often done is on GoFundMe. A website that allows you to create a link where anyone can donate to the cause. 

One way that can be used to take action against the overuse of social media and letting it control us and our actions could be to put your phone on do not disturb. By doing this it allows people to continue to do what they were doing without being interrupted by notifications that are meant to draw users back to these social media apps. It gives people the opportunity to stay in the present moment.