The Toxic Relationship Between Teens and Social Media | Teen Ink

The Toxic Relationship Between Teens and Social Media

By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other

"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin

In an era dominated by likes, shares, and followers, the allure of social media captivates the youth like never before. Beneath the filters lies a relentless pursuit of validation, and the constant comparison fostered by these platforms is taking a toll on our youth's mental health and well-being. Everywhere I look, I see my classmates on their phones, scrolling their lives away, their souls disappearing into the void of social media. I notice their conformity, lack of creativity, and, most of all, the disappearance of individualism.

I’m sure most of you have seen the dangerous internet trends that teens participate in for no reason. While these algorithms were designed to provide tailored content to users, they seem to have created an invisible barrier that narrows our vision. As Chris Murphy stated, "For [kids], the only acceptable online environment is one customized by big tech algorithms, which feed them customized content."  We are being molded into (unrealistic) versions of ourselves – someone social media would like to see.

I’ve been there, too, spending endless hours on the demonic ritual of scrolling to satiate my desire for excitement and satisfaction. My saving grace was my parents. Though harsh, they had awakened me from a habit that could have ruined me. And for that, I’m forever indebted.

It’s time to take our eyes off the screens. See and experience the world firsthand. And be our true selves.

I've previously been hooked by platforms such as Twitter or YouTube, and I felt its effects firsthand. Most people don't realize how damaging these habits can get, and that's why I've chosen to write about this topic to bring attention to an issue often shoved out of the limelight.