Strict parents raise sneakier kids.. | Teen Ink

Strict parents raise sneakier kids..

Parents should allow their children more freedom because strict parents raise liars and sneaky kids, causing more damage to their relationships. Not allowing your child the room to grow on their own and make some mistakes can cause the child to be sheltered and not know how to deal with certain situations or emotions. Strict parenting can sometimes cause the child to crack or rebel, under all the rules. The child “ rebelling” could upset the parent and then cause an argument making the parent question their parenting and the child question their identity. 

Kids may feel they can't talk to their parents about their difficulties or worries if their parents are very rigid. Children may get lonely and isolated as a result, which may prompt them to look elsewhere for consolation or assistance. Children may start to rebel in order to show their independence if they believe their parents don't respect, trust, or approve of their ability to make their own decisions. According to the students of Poway high school “The shame and blame technique does not work to change teenage behavior because teenagers need a safe place to talk not to be shamed. A teenager’s mind is still developing, and they will begin to think that everything they do is wrong, not learning about their mistakes.” KIds need to be comforted and help confront their issues  and feelings, if not it will teach them to run from them. 

On the contrary, parents who are overly lenient may fail to set clear limits for their children. Kids may believe that they can act however they like without facing any repercussions as a result of this. When children lack discipline and direction, they may begin to participate in taking more risks or make poor decisions. 

Finding the right balance between being strict and lenient is crucial for parents. Parents should clearly define expectations for their children, but they should also give them some latitude in making decisions. # Analee Gorman in  newspaper for Rio Mirada High School mentions that “Studies show communication and openness is key in parent-child relationships to make it stronger and avoid miscommunications.”When parents are overly serious, they run the risk of unintentionally encouraging their children to be sly and dishonest.

Too lenient parents may encourage reckless and thoughtless behavior.  In conclusion, severe parents who fail to strike a balance between being harsh and allowing their children some freedom may unintentionally develop sly children. Setting boundaries and having clear rules about their boundaries is crucial for parents. when parents involve their children in decision-making and are open to hearing their concerns. They might be able to strike a compromise between sticking to their rules and taking the child's worries into account. I feel like if the child's feelings are taken into consideration then maybe it will build and repair the relationship between a parent and their child. It makes it easier to live together in the same house. 

I wrote this based off of my personal opinion, I lived this and these are simply my thoughts with a little bit of evidence.