Technology Vs. Humans | Teen Ink

Technology Vs. Humans

By 23AbiGya BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
23AbiGya BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

Technology is changing the way we work and it is also causing us to become less active in our daily lives.

I firmly believe that although technology has greatly improved our quality of life, it has increased our dependence on it. When cell phones or internet connections are unavailable, many people experience extreme anxiety and a sense of being lost in space. Now that this has been brought to our attention, what can we do to avoid this kind of feeling or anxiety when we do not have our cell phones for a couple of hours? By keeping

yourself busy, you will be able to not think about your phone. Especially when you are participating in something you really enjoy. 

In addition, People concentrate on social media, play video games, or watch streaming content for hours on end. This is terrible and may have negative effects on both one's physical and mental health. According to Kasperky.com, “Looking down at an electronic gadget for long periods can lead to neck and back pain, as well as pains in elbows, wrists, and hands.” This is how paying so much attention to our smartphones, laptops, and other electrical gadgets affects our physical bodies. According to Circle Health Group, technology affects us mentally because “Some studies have

shown a link between high use of social media and symptoms of anxiety and depression.” You may also lose your ability to focus. 

Job displacement is another way that technology's rapid advancement will push humans to adapt. Artificial intelligence sometimes referred to as AI, is taking over jobs that were previously performed by people in an increasing number of cases, which may result in job displacement and economic disruption. I believe that some jobs could be completely taken over by machines. 

Self-driving motor vehicles or trucks, for instance, might take the role of human drivers.

Al development and technology are improving at a rapid rate and this is changing humanity to keep up and adapt.

Recognizing the problems at hand is necessary for humans to be able to avoid technology or AI in time before things escalate. Instead of overusing technology to the point where it controls us, we should educate ourselves on its benefits and responsible use. 

Another way to avoid human obsession with technology is to set boundaries, which means you would have to establish clear limits on your technology, such as not using your phones during meals, and setting aside time each day to unplug and engage in non-technical activities. Engaging in other activities will also be beneficial to our physical and mental health. We need to find our hobbies and activities which do not include technology. For example, reading, exercising, or spending time with friends and family. 

In conclusion, technology and AI robots are developing so quickly that humans will be forced to stay up with them and make adjustments. We are unaware of the fact that we rely on technology, which is one thing. Many individuals find it difficult to even read an analog wall clock. Why? Because we have become used to getting time from our cell phones. Hey Siri, what time is it? You ask, and a response appears. When you ask Siri, "Hey, what's the weather?" you get an answer. Isn’t that amazing? Very fast and easy.

We impart a lot of human responsibilities to technology, and as a result, job displacement is happening right in front of our eyes. Already, truck drivers' jobs are being replaced by self-driving automobiles. The actual human cashier is being replaced with self-checkouts at grocery stores. 

We can resolve the current problem if we are conscious of who we are and what we are doing. 

All these technological instruments are made by people. Yes, it may appear intriguing and cool, but in the end, the creators will find it difficult to keep up with the changes made by their inventions.

Something that inspired me was time with family. I realized that family time or even spending time with your friends can be more fun if you are doing something you both enjoy without the interruptions of devices such as cell phones. You should also appreciate every moment with your loved ones and be attention when they speak, not distracted.